The "D" in 20/2.8D is for DOG

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Don't take that in a bad way. I mean the 20/2.8D is great for taking pictures of dogs... provided you're willing to get close enough to risk getting slobber on your lens.

These shots were taken at near minimum focusing distance, which is 10 inches.

This is Snicker Doodle. She'sa 4 year old Shar )Pei.

Meet Clyde, a 5 year old mixed Yellow Lab and Golden Retriever.
    View attachment 12654

Clyde decided to give me his profile, and I think the result shows how sharp this sweet little prime lens can be.

View attachment 12655

2. those are great looking animals and I agree with your assesment on the lens. Very nice and the last image is a great example of the quality.

3. Wow Frank... that explains it... I have half a dozen of these Doggie lenses...!!!

4. Panos, have you tried your 12-24/4Dog on Lambros yet?

5. It depends on what dog are you referring too...
    I have posted more than a dozen with Lambros and you have seen the other doggies as well...

6. KJD2121

KJD2121 Guest

Please clean the Shar pei's eye.

7. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    So if I have a 'non-D' AF lens, I should stick to people and cats?

8. She's not my dog. Besides, the eye crud is part of the slurpy appearance I was looking for in this shot. Sorry if it offends.

9. Precisely. But if you buy that 85/2.8D PC you've been looking at, you can shoot dogs, people and cats :p.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Any of the PC lenses can do Parents and Children.

12. Frank, the first shot is like looking down the barrell of a cannon, scary. Nice use of your prime lens.

13. Thanks, Gordon! I'm surprised at how much use I'm getting out of the 20/2.8. I bought it for special situations, but it bends light in intriguing ways, and I find myself reaching for it for "special" pictures.

The dog's owner loves the portrait, and is going to frame it and hang it in a prominant position in her room. I guess if you own a Shar Pei, you learn to love slobber :roll:. Here's another shot of Snicker Doodle.