The D200 arrived, thoughts coming from a D50..

One thing

I noticed last in night in reviewing the pictures (shooting RAW JPEG Fine) is how good JPEGs are from this camera. Some reviews made it sound like the JPEG engine from the D200 wasn't that good, but I am hard pressed to tell the difference from RAW (and I am a RAW *only* shooter) with the exception of a little better contrast and sharpness. I love RAW so I don't think it will change my habit, but it is nice to know I can shoot RAW + JPEG and won't have to convert every single file in the process.

I did some shooting last night @ ISO 3200. Yes ISO 3200 does seem pretty useless, but combine ISO 3200 with the BW image mode and you get some very impressive 1960s 'Life Magazine' style PJ images. I'll post some of my work with this camera over the weekend.

I also attached my 75-150 E, setup the aperture via the non-CPU menus and whaala, instant metering with a fantastic old AiS lens.

N

Nuteshack

i haven't shot a single raw file yet ...the jpegs are outstanding ...;-)

B

Benedikt

i haven't shot a single raw file yet ...the jpegs are outstanding ...;-)

Nute, may I ask you about your Colour Mode and Saturation settings?
(Sorry for "hijacking" the thread)

WatsonD50, thanks for sharing your observations with us, they are similar to mine since I went from the D70 to the D200 recently.
The D200 fits my large hands much better and I instantly felt at home when I took a first look at the button layout. The D200 feels simply more "mature" to me than the D70.
Still, at the current price on the used market the D70(s) still holds its own. Especially when compared to other brands. I'd use one as my second body if I could afford it.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
N

Nuteshack

Nute, may I ask you about your Colour Mode and Saturation settings?
(Sorry for "hijacking" the thread)

WatsonD50, thanks for sharing your observations with us, they are similar to mine since I went from the D70 to the D200 recently.
The D200 fits my large hands much better and I instantly felt at home when I took a first look at the button layout. The D200 feels simply more "mature" to me than the D70.
Still, at the current price on the used market the D70(s) still holds its own. Especially when compared to other brands. I'd use one as my second body if I could afford it.

Regards

always minus 1 contrast and saturation....for inside or lower light i use color 2 ..outside color 3

Congrats Daniel! Yeah I hear you on the metering. If I did more pro work I'd probably already have gotten a D200 just for that alone. Glad to see you're enjoying it. Geez, they're so cheap now, going for $700-800 right here on the Cafe. Just saw a D80 go for $599, so only $200-300 to upgrade. :eek: Makes ya think, but I'd rather just keep getting better glass for now. The $200-300 I don't spend on a 80 -> 200 upgrade combined with $300-400 in odds and ends I should sell but just haven't gotten around to it and that's some more 'yummy' glass. :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom