1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The d200's a bargain if...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by Uncle Frank, Sep 27, 2008.

1. This is intended as a note of encouragement for bargain shoppers, not as a claim that a 3 year old design can keep up with the state of the art cameras. If your main emphasis is on indoor sports, stage productions, or rock & roll photography, you should probably pony up for a d300, d700, or d3. But otherwise, the d200 might do the job... and at a relatively affordable price. Heck, there's one in the For Sale forum right now for under $700.

I mostly shoot people, and when the light is low, I use fast glass, a flash, or both. The main reason I haven't upgraded yet... other than saving my marriage... is that I like the skin tones I get from the d200.

The biggest drawback cited to bargain hunters is that the d200's image quality falls apart above iso400. Every once in a while I find I need to bump up sensitivity to get the shots I'm after, and have found the results satisfy my personal standards. Here's a few samples. But note that none of them are straight from the camera.

iso640
    View attachment 257949

iso800
    View attachment 257950

iso1000
    View attachment 257951

iso1250
    View attachment 257952

iso1400
    View attachment 257953

iso1600
    View attachment 257954

2. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

nice shots, Frank. i'm seein some absolute steals on this fine gizmo. one for $600 on Portland Craiglist yesterday:eek:  ..i still think it's one of the finest iso100 shooters out there. and of course, i dig the 200 colors:biggrin:

1600iso
    2335529601_5bfeafbbca_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    70mm    f/2.8    1/45s    ISO 1600

2000iso
    2370237580_1079235e61_o.
    NIKON D200    ---    85mm    f/1.4    1/100s   

:Love:

3. i'm also on d200 band wagon lol
    i manage a retail store, so i get to play with dslrs all day, but i still love the d200. Performance of the camera is very good for what i do - landscapes. i do shoot 3-5 weddings a year and it hasnt faild me once

4. Man, camera prices are dropping like flies. At this rate, I should be able to get a D100 for $50 by next week!

5. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

by christmas they'll be paying u to take it off their hands ...hahahahaha
    :tongue:

6. Yeah....Im seriously thinking of upgrading my D50 for a D200, after selling the D50 it will probably be around $400 out of pocket. From what I read the ISO performance is roughly the same. What I would really like is commander mode and be able to meter with AIS lenses, something the D50 does not do.

7. I am in the same boat, but will keep the D50. I shoot alot of low light sports but would like the D200 for more cropping and fps rate over the D50.

8. As I said in the opening post, if your main emphasis is on indoor sports, stage productions, or rock & roll photography, you should probably pony up for a d300, d700, or d3.

9. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

Great Pic's....If the D300 wasn't available when I purchased it..I'd be shooting with the D200..excellent Camera...

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i still think it focuses faster than the d300 (seriously)
    now i'm talking fast sports focusing
    i never had to use release priority on my d200...shutter almost never jammed and rarely had an oof shot

11. gaopa

gaopa

Jun 30, 2006
    NE Georgia
    You guys are right, the D200 is a great camera and an absolute steal for a used one now! I also understand that the NY houses that still have them in stock will sell a new one for $999. Gotta love technology! Cheers, Bill P.

12. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Well, jumping on a used one locally today. For my needs it's a really nice step up from what I've got (D70) and provides a handful of features I've really been missing: dedicated af-on button, better sealing (I always feel a bit queasy when my D70 takes a fall into snow, which has happened a couple of times when snowshoeing), manual lens metering, MLU, setting banks (so I can make the camera usable for just me if needed without twiddling tons of custom functions plus switch between a few common configs that I use) and obviously all of the overall improvements. I tested it yesterday with some of my longer, slower-focusing screwdriver glass and was really impressed with the improvement in AF speed and quietness as well. The motor seemed noticably peppier at f/2.8 and f/4 while expending less effort, although the impression that I got was going to smaller apertures via TC seemed to degrade performance a tad more than it did on the D70, reducing the D200's advantage. Certainly not an exhaustive comparison, though.

The D300, great as it is, isn't enough on paper for me to hold out and stretch for it. I'll be sure to avoid handling one. :smile:

13. If I hadn't picked up a new D80 in May, I would be ALL over this one

There are great deals for this great camera

14. Kemnik

Kemnik

Aug 21, 2007
    San Jose, CA
    Frank, I couldn't agree more. The skin tones of the D200 are just plain correct I feel. Don't get me wrong, I've taken good people shots with my D300, but it requires more work I feel. Could be me still getting used to it, but the D200 is just great from the get go. Yesterday I did an evening family session at Kelly Park in San Jose and I had the D300 with 35 F2 (set up for two strobes through umbrellas) and my D200 with 85 1.4 setup for the natural light candids of the kids playing by the pond. As I was seeing the results, I sort of shifted and started to prep the D200 for the strobes and ended up standing way back and taking 3/4 length group shots using the strobes and D200 and they look better in my opinion. I wish the D300 was everything the D200 is + the new technology, but the image qualities are noticeable different. I'm on the fence whether I'm happy with the D300 to be honest. The problem is that everything I like on the D300 has to do with handling (e.g., ease of use, robustness, quick FPS, more solid, menu is more responsive) and everything I dislike has to do with image quality which should be the most important thing.

15. Kqw1208

Kqw1208 Guest

So Frank...You're telling us NOW AFTER we've purchased the D300...

Go to your room....:329:

16. I've really been thinking about grabbing a D200 off of the used market but I read too many reviews. Every time I think I'm ready to pull the trigger I read something about how much better the D300 is...or how it's not 2006 anymore. I don't know what to do!!

17. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    :eek: 

Not even close.

18. ISO performance is very similar up to 400 or so. after that the D300 walks away...actually, it runs away with it! :biggrin:.

i've noticed that same as many others here...skin tones are just spectacular from the D200.

19. ssjarz

ssjarz Guest

I own both the D200 and D300. Both a fine rugged cameras. The biggest difference for me is the improved LCD, the fact that there are multiple custom menus and the fact that you can enter more than one non cpu lens. Also the 100% viewfinder is a dream for tired eyes. Otherwise, 99% of the time you can't tell the difference. The only drawback is that the menus are considerably different and my brain can't handle both sets of commands. I plan to bolt my 70-300 VR lens on the D200, set up the menus for it and leave it there. The D300 I will use for everything else. I also have a D80 but don't know if I will keep it. At the rate the prices are falling, I just might keep it for something.

20. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    What do you mean by multiple custom menus that are absent from the D200?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.