The D2H, New Batteries, and the .... Beast!

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by CrystallP, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Okay, after 36 hours of experimentation with the D2h and my existing lenses and monopods, I decided to visit Penn Camera for extra batteries. :eek: Big mistake! :eek: I checked on the price of a new 28-70mm, attached it to my D2H and it stayed there! :biggrin: The clerk and I tested the lens and he wanted to make me an offer on the spot for the D2H! Wow! Talk about holding it's value!

Looks like the 28-70 + 12-24 will be traveling with me everywhere. Oh, I haven't forgotten about my trusty micro lenses, they have a place in my bag too. I hope to post imagery from Luray Caverns next weekend. In the meantime, I will try and get out out at lunch time this week to capture imagery from the retirement community campus.

Happily submitted, the newest owner of the Beast! :biggrin:

Boy, my resolve didn't last long did it??? :roll: :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  2. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I'm only counting seven lenses in your list Crystall...

And they're all unique and useful in their own ways too! Congratulations. Lets see some pics! Uncle Frank may have a suggestion or two as far as good subjects for your new lens goes.;)

3. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Did I not tell you . . .

The Beast is an awsome piece of glass. Absolutely my favorite people lens.

You have officially joined the "no resolve" club.

4. Crystall

I thought I was an impulse buyer.

My only salvation is there are no camera shops in Tallahassee that stock Nikon to any extent or I would be in real trouble.

I have to save some more $$$ before I can get the Beast.

Maybe I can do a charity car wash this coming weekend with me as the charity; Overcoming LLD. Sounds good anyway.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2005
  5. Crystal, you are cracking me up. :eek: Did you get the batteries?? :biggrin:

6. Crystall, I am not surprised. That's why I never go to my favourite shop to buy accessories.

BTW, I think I need a new filter.......

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well Crystal, I'm glad to see I'm not the only hopeless LLD victim hanging out here. Part of my problem is I don't have one specific area I want to concentrate on, so I find myself wanting lenses for wildlife, landscapes, portraits, macro, etc.

I'm sure you'll love your new gear, look forward to seeing some pictures from you.

8. Crystall, didn't you announce that you had no need for a midrange zoom just a day or two ago? What are you doing???

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Crystall,

Now I'm really envious.... :Wink:

Go get 'em gal. :biggrin:

10. saturnine

saturnine Guest

The Beast for $800...

In case anyone's interested, here's a heads up for a sale at Nikonians:

http://www.nikonians.org/dcforum/DCForumID23/4672.html

The Beast for $800 with these stipulations:

1. 2 small scratches on the front element, and some dust inside.(photos available)
    2. Some wear around the front edges and on the name plate.

It comes with the front and rear caps and a Hoya filter. As I said, optically it's a 10, but I try to be thorough in my description, so feel that I need to mention everything.

If anyone's interested.... I wouldn't be deterred by the scratches, as I have used my 105mm f/2.5 for years with a couple scratches on it and have gotten nothing but beautiful images from it.

Hopefully someone sees this, because it's an amazing deal!

11. Hi Chris,

Yes, my brother is picking up his 'new' D70 and kit lens this weekend. I have finally resolved my gear crisis. I was surprised by the Beast. I actually like the lens. I am going to use it at an upcoming wedding, so I need plenty of practice.

12. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Crystal, you are weak, weak, weak!!!! :tongue:
    I'm sooo disappointed in you. I was sure you would be able to last at least another week. :Smoking:
    Enjoy your new toys.

13. Hello to Everyone!

Phew, I like the new board, but responding is tricky. Yes, I am impulsive and I love the lens. That is all that matters. My brother is the recipient of my D70 and kit lens, 3 extra batteries, and a hoodman. I am very satisfied with my gear. I look forward to this weekend at Luray Caverns. I am hoping for good weather as we will be spending a lot of time along Skyline Drive.

14. I'm surprised that you were surprised :confused:. There's certainly been enough testimonials about The Beast. Try it out on landscapes, architecture, or floral closeups and I think you'll be pleased with the results, but to see it at its best, try it at an event!

That's it! The Beast loves weddings. It's the only lens you'll need for the ceremony, formals, and reception :biggrin:. I'll be looking forward to your report.

15. Caverns

Crystal, do you mean Laurel Caverns in Uniontown Pa.?

16. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Hey Crystal have you got a Nikon Cafe Hat !! :biggrin: :biggrin:

17. Nope, Luray Caverns in Luray, Virginia off of I-81. This is our second visit. You can find info about the caverns at http://www.luraycaverns.com. I have two stunning photos from last year and I hope to refine my technique this year.

18. Hey! Thanks for reminding me. I need to order one! I love caps!

19. A week! I could have lasted a week if I hadn't gone to the camea store with my friend. She left me in there by myself...big mistake! :biggrin: No, actually, I tried my lens collection on the D2H and realized that I had one of those 'Catch 22' situations. The 17-55 is a perfect complement to the D2H, but I sold that to afford the D2H or the 28-70. So, after pooling the lens sales funds, I tried the 28-70 at the store and decided to acquire it to go along with my 12-24. It was another of my DUH! moments.

Fall is coming and the Pennsylvania Heartland is a joy to behold. I hope to be on the road every weekend exploring sites between New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Virginia.

20. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Well, now that you have the gear, let's see some pics. :smile:

You are going to have so much fun. :wink: