The D2Hs is out on DPReview ...

Please, you can ***** here about the new camera ...

Personnally, I don't think that the D2Hs Nikon's best move but they are trying real hard to make it a pro body again :evil: .

From my sources, expect a beefed up D100 replacement around end of summer announcement ...

Boobie Joe said:
Please, you can ***** here about the new camera ...

Personnally, I don't think that the D2His Nikon's best move but they are trying real hard to make it a pro body again :evil: .
snip ...

It isn't that earth shattering. It is a new version of an existing camera. They announced it today to avoid stealing the limelight of the D2X release. I would bet that we won't see any D2X pictures at all until the the 25th. Why not add to the "drama" of the camer's release? It makes sense to me.

Ah well, the D2X isn't on my radar until after October 2005. By then I figure the feeding frenzy will abate. I look for price reductions when store stocks are stable; maybe not by October, but eventually.

Rich

Iliah said:
Maybe we need to see some images out of it to make our verdict :)

What a concept. :!: :!: Actually judging something on it's merits instead of wild rumors.... :lol:

Regards,

Frank

In all the yrs I've been here,

I honestly don't think I've ever seen it that bad over at DPR. I think Nikon did the right thing by giving PJs the improvements they can use the most. We'll see how it plays out.

I do not want to sound like promoting anything; here are my dreams:

- usable high ISO out of camera JPEGs;
- less noise at high ISO images (NEFs and JPEGs)
- improved white balance under mixed light (promised)

I'm quite happy with 4M sensor, it is quite enough for many of my needs. For the rest I'm getting D2x.

On another note, I wish usable ISO 128000 and up to use my slow crappy lenses stopped down to f8..f16; and 64Mpix to use one lens welded to my camera and just crop from the resulting image...

Damn your right, it's a mess over at DPR. As far as the camera, even if everything pans out great, it's not something I would upgrade my D2h for.

M

marek

Yves (that is you in the photo right?),
I think from Nikon's point of view the D2Hs is a good move. They gain commonality that is lost with the entry of the D2X. From a design/mfg point of view there isn't much point in running an almost identical body with just a few small differences (image processing h.w, button differences, etc). So it's both cost effective due to commonality and getting all available top line improvements to the consumer. How you package such a move is the $10k question.

Where Nikon's move is questionable is price and sensor. In today's megapixel crazy world they will inevitably be compared to 1D mkII with its 8MP. Could they have put a 6 or 8MP sensor in the D2Hs? Make it six and you'd hear the same complaints. 8MP and maybe the D2h would not be differentiated enough from a D2x (canon has an 8MP span here). Consumers in a lot of markets have also been given a taste of a $2k D2h, hard to go back when the improvements are not as tangible as something like MP count would be.

In a position where there would have been much internal drive to commonise the bodies, Nikon probably made the right h.w decision but sold it badly. We'll see how the actual camera turns out.

Though the details of the 1D bodies are a little grey to me, I don't think that Canon has been in the same situation. They seem to be more about improving the sensor side with the body almost unchanged from the film 'parent'. ie a sensor change doesn't make our other body significantly behind.

Iliah said:
I do not want to sound like promoting anything; here are my dreams:

- usable high ISO out of camera JPEGs;
- less noise at high ISO images (NEFs and JPEGs)
- improved white balance under mixed light (promised)

I'm quite happy with 4M sensor, it is quite enough for many of my needs. For the rest I'm getting D2x.

On another note, I wish usable ISO 128000 and up to use my slow crappy lenses stopped down to f8..f16; and 64Mpix to use one lens welded to my camera and just crop from the resulting image...

I have to agree. I'm certain Nikon realizes that this is crisis time for them. They have to deliver something REALLY good or they're squarely behind the eight ball. That's why we haven't seen any D2X images; they're essentially betting the farm on it and will go with the official release date for everything.

As far as the D2Hs, they must understand using the same size sensor will raise eyebrows around the world. The images should be really great. Let's wait and see before judging.

Rich

Rich Gibson said:
That's why we haven't seen any D2X images;
Rich

I have seen some NEFs (and we support those in our programme). I have not canceled my pre-order, but instead pre-paid in full.

Latest threads

Top Bottom