1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The D3 meets the 400vr

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    AF on the D3 is considerably faster than the D300 but I hate giving up the reach of the DX body

Boys U13 on a fill size field (they fooled me so I had to shoot from mid field instead of my usual place in the endzone)...today's game started at 3pm ET

D3 + 400vr @ 2.8, iso 200-400, ev=0, meter CW & matrix

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    WOW, I'm speechless. Those are fantastic. WOW. Nice work.

3. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Amazing

4. so, RANDY.....
    WHAT SAY YOU?

besides the increased focus speed on the D3 than the D300 (expected)
    and the crop factor

how else would you compare the experience with both?

these are.... of course..... STELLAR, in EVERY sense of the word

5. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx Lisa

thx Rod

thx Greg...

I might look for a used D2XS to be honest with you because I want the faster focus acquisition (and the crop factor) without having to recompose multiple times and pan the action. I think the D300 has AF problems but i've learned to live with them. I never had to do what I do with the D300 with the D200 (what a sentence that was)

I can't give up the crop factor for field sports mainly because I sell mostly smaller size pics and I need to shoot goal to goal and crop if necessary.

I thought today's game was going to be on a smaller field so that fooled me and I had to move to midfield and then watch for parents and other BG clutter, which was aggravating. Next w/e I will shoot U12 so I can get the smaller field and use the D3.....

6. thanks for your reply, randy
    i really appreciate it

7. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois

8. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006

9. e2blade

e2blade

Jul 24, 2008
    Peoria, AZ
    im jealous, awesome shots

10. Randy,

Seriously, you're going to be dangerous with this combination. The group looks good even compared to your already high standards. :smile:

11. Sauk

Sauk

Aug 4, 2008
    Sandy, UT
    i wish I could have that lens, but I also want to have another kid...

hmmm lens or kid :) 

12. topher04r1

topher04r1 Guest

aside from a few cluttered BG's i think your lens is working just as it should !! ... Good to hear that the combo is working out for ya buddy !!

13. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    Why not just use the DX crop in the D3? The quality of the sensor more than makes up for the loss in pixels.

14. cleoent

cleoent

Dec 21, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    You D300 shots and this lens were incredible, these with the D3 are on a whole entire different level. Up until now, i've always been impressed with the D3, but figured the D300 was a close second, now i can see, it's really not even close.

15. audu67

audu67

Jan 14, 2008
    Decatur, Alabama
    Randy, these are special. This is the quality I'm working toward.

Isn't it amazing how well these kids play with their eyes closed. It seems that tongues improve your balance and let you make difficult moves while closed eyes allow you to do things that might scare you if you were looking.

16. Randy,

Those shots make my D300/70-200 combo soccer pics look sad.:frown:

As soon as I can come up with $13.5K for the combo, I'm there!!! My kids really don't need to go to college.....? :biggrin:

17. Simba909

Simba909

Mar 2, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Randy, these are great. I don't really see too much BG clutter on these, there are some parents on a couple of the shots but the isolation is so good I don't find them distracting at all. Great job.

18. Definitely tops the D300! ! !

I have been sitting here on the fence on what to do for a long lens....but then I also have not been shooting that much sports......

Either way when I look at these the 200-400 is out.....and most likely it's a 200/2 and 400/2.8.

I was leaning to a 300 and 500, but I am not sold on the f4. My biggest problem is I also like shooting wildlife, and 400 will not be long enough......and I know I don't want a 600, and I just love the 500VR.

GenoP

19. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    thx

thx Steve

thx chris

i may give that a try.....i hadn't thought of it

thx Leo

thx Donald....my fav is when they are running and their eyes are closed and their feet are off the ground

thx Rick....i have shot alot of soccer w/ a 70-200...troll the sidelines and wait for the action to come close and def use the d300

thx Ron....i was satisfied with the blur...i really like to shoot from the endzone on my little 3 leg stool so i am down low for the little kids. On a U9 to U12 size field I can reach the other goal for a 4x6 crop.

for me the decision was easy and tg the 500 & 600 weren't 2.8's
    I'm gonna try the 400 + 1.7TC for birds but the places I go in Fla (so far anyway) don't need any more reach than that) and Viera doesn't need that much reach

20. Thanks Randy. I'll try what you recommend. Probably just wasting my time trying to get those "across the field shots" with my current equipment.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.