The D700 is getting to me

Well, it did not take all that long, but the D700 is really getting on my nerves (in a positive way!) :smile:
First off, let me say that I am as pleased as ever with my trusty D2x.
I like the idea of FF, but as an amateur only, there is no way that I will dish out close to $ 5,000 for a D3 - I cannot justify that.
Having seen the stellar performance of the D3 (and having shot a bit with one), I am very impressed with its performance. FF produces a nice perspective and the high ISO performance is unreal.
But I limited myself to just that: being impressed.

Enter the D700.
WHOOAAAA!!!!
The exact same image processing (sensor, processor) and IQ for $ 2,000 less (no, I would not add the battery grip).
I love the solid feel of the single digit Nikons. But the 700 is kind of in between the triple digit models and the single digit models. That makes it interesting for me, I could live with a digital F100 - so to speak.

No, I am not rushing to the store - yet -, but that beauty sure as heck is on my mind :biggrin:.

edit: one caveat (as I also commented in another thread): the D700's incompatibility with Capture NX is just anal! It will probably hold me back a while longer, if ever I were to get a D700.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on, Frits, we all know it's just a matter of time.. :wink:

edit: one caveat (as I also commented in another thread): the D700's incompatibility with Capture NX is just anal! It will probably hold me back a while longer, if ever I were to get a D700.
Frits, I'm here to help with the NX issue... There's a batch file command that can be used to make the NX edit very easy. All I do now is transfer two files to the directory that has my new NX files in them and click one button. 5 second later... Poof, problems solved....

Let's not let a little think like NX stop you. It's not the fastest RAW program anyway... :smile:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Frits, I'm here to help with the NX issue... There's a batch file command that can be used to make the NX edit very easy. All I do now is transfer two files to the directory that has my new NX files in them and click one button. 5 second later... Poof, problems solved....

Let's not let a little think like NX stop you. It's not the fastest RAW program anyway... :smile:
Thanks for reminding everyone of that. I had see that posted, but some may not have.
If I were to get a D700, I would definitely do this as well.

I hope that Nikon gets the message (this is being discussed in a number of places) and fixes this in an NX update. I might yet reach for my wallet a bit quicker :smile:.

Its only a matter of time before NX is updated, and in the meanwhile the edit procedure is quick anyways.

You could always sell your D2X and get a D3. If you loved the pro body feel enough to have bought it in the D2X, arguably youre getting a lot more for your $ with with D3.

If you just want the basic goods, the just get the D700 and start making pictures. Its only money after all.

You could always sell your D2X and get a D3. If you loved the pro body feel enough to have bought it in the D2X, arguably youre getting a lot more for your $ with with D3.
I sure have thought of that. I do love the pro bodies and I think I put them to fairly good use. Physically they also balance beautifully with my top notch (and big) glass.
I have had the single digit DSLR's since the D1 (D1x, D2H, D2x).

But let's say I get $ 1,600 for my D2x. That leaves close to $ 4,000 to go (D3 here: $ 4,850 + tax = $ 5,550).
Simply too much for lil' amateur me :smile: (sure, I can afford that any time if it were warranted, but I cannot justify it).

I tried a D700 out at the store the other day. That cured me very quickly of wanting one. It's BIG, awkward, entirely too heavy and the live view turns off the autofocus. Give me a D300 any day.

I think the D2X and D700 would be a fine combo for you, Frits.

No pressure.

You will do what's right for you.
I just hope you are able to make the Alabama get together next year....

...and bring the D700 with you.
:biggrin:

I just hope you are able to make the Alabama get together next year....

That sure is the plan :smile:

...and bring the D700 with you.

We'll see about that...even if I were to get one, I would probably bring the D2x again - more practical for what we shoot.
:smile:

N

Nuteshack

getting to me too, Frits...even got me a little depressed ..lol

;-)))

If you don't get the grip, then it isn't going to take up much room in your bag. We might encounter more low light situations in Star Bucks or Home Depot, therefore, I think you should bring it. :cool:

Maybe this can help.....

Nikon D700 ,Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
1/80s f/4.0 at 38.0mm iso400
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1/160s f/3.2 at 26.0mm iso800
View attachment 241874

1/250s f/3.5 at 24.0mm iso1600
View attachment 241875

Nikon D700 ,Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro
1/250s f/3.5 at 105.0mm iso1600
View attachment 241876

Nikon D700 ,Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Micro
1/200s f/4.0 at 105.0mm iso800
View attachment 241877

Yours truly,
GenoP

PS: Best camera I have ever owned!

getting to me too, Frits...even got me a little depressed ..lol

;-)))
Nute, don't get depressed. The ISO handling isn't really THAT good...

Darn it, I had two whole lights on when I took this shot and I STILL had to do a bit of noise reduction.... :rolleyes:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Frits and Nute, as everybody else who has no D700 or D3 right NOW I share your pain. My strategy: I sidestep the issue by saving for a t/s lens now and getting a D700 later (when everybody complains about why they paid too much for a camera that is so much cheaper now :tongue:)....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom