The D700 REALLY doesnt like TC's

Discussion in 'Nikon FX DSLR' started by Hokum, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    I was testing the D700 today against the D2x with my Sig 500mm f4.5 plus 1.4x tc, now before anyone says, yes i know they shouldnt work, but with taped pins, it works fine on my D2x and my D40! On the D2x it was about half a second to lock target, and the D700 was like two or three! It was just chattering back and forth then would lock then loose it.

Its fine without the TC smooth and predictable. Its going to be a bummer if this is an issue. I need the TC to make up for the lack of crop on some subjects!

Now i havent tried this on any nikon lenses and TC's (i dont have a nikon TC to test with).

2. Get the Sigma TC as this will work but you will loose auto focus.

3. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    Hunting

My D3 Plus 300 f4 and TC or 70-200 and TC hunt like crazy if there is not contrast. Example on the beach yesterday I focused on my sons (5 yr old) back and I could not focus even though his back was pretty small in the viewfinder. Looking at his back I thought there should be some/enough contrast, but the camera did not think so. On his hair it was fine, focus was quick and as expected.

Did you use the same targets for your test?

4. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    I'm using the sigma Tc with it, and i was focused on a VERY contrast subject, the head of a coot, they dont come more contrasty...

5. jimeast

jimeast

Mar 17, 2008
    Metrowest. MA
    Slow with TC's

Paul,

I thought the suggestion on contrast was was worth a try.

6. Ermm... Auto focus is the part he's having trouble with to begin with. The Sigma TC definitely isn't gonna be an improvement.:wink:

7. Hi Paul

I've found different bodies respond differently with TCs, especially when you go over f/5.6 minimum aperture where a TC is not guaranteed to work.

With a Kenko Pro 1.4 TC on the 70-300 VR on my S5 Pro AF works perfectly.

With the same combination on the D60, anything much past 200mm will just chatter and never quite lock.

I'll bring a TC + some lens to see if I can reproduce.

8. Will the TC work with the 70-300VR with the D300? I ask as the manual says not to do it - would love it if it did.

Chris

9. Hi Chris

I didn't try this on a D300 as my -> your 70-300 VR and D300 never met.

You can borrow the TC if you are in Cambridge and try if you want?

I've had 2x Kenko TC on a D50 with Nikkor 70-300 AF-G and that works fine (f/11 @ 600mm)

10. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    This is the puzzle. If the D700 is good in low light with AF then it shoul (in my mind) work at f6.3 as its just dimmer for the AF system to work. In reality its no different to the 50-500 or 170-500 which are also f6.3.

I'm used to the D2x with the 500 and with the 1.4x, so if i have to use my 500 without its going to feel like i'm trying to shoot wildlife with a wide angle lens...

11. I once tried the Kenko with the Sigma 500 and AF didn't work (on a D200 that was I think). At least on a D300 the modded Nikon + Sigma 500 combo works for me.