The D7100 in 1.3 Image Area

Real Name
Randy
someone told me or I read it somewhere that when you shoot the D7100 in 1.3 Image Area it's effectively a 2x crop body

so if that's correct

800mm, handheld, wide open at f/5.6, with the 80-400 and yes I am very surprised (again) by what this combod can do especially after shooting with shooters who had 800mm sigs and canons on wimberly's on gitzo's (whew, almost as hard to say as it is to carry:mad:)

i-g4vS59r-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

That's an excellent sharp image , Randy.

It sure seems a sharp lens & i've been condsidering/toying with the idea of it instead of my 300 F2.8 + 1.7TC combo. Cetainly much easier to carry, but need to work out if quality & slight loss of speed will be detrimental for `birding`?

Saw a revue of the new 80-400 @ 400mm Vs the 70-200 + 2xTC. & the 80-400 was the winner!

Real Name
Randy
That's an excellent sharp image , Randy.

It sure seems a sharp lens & i've been condsidering/toying with the idea of it instead of my 300 F2.8 + 1.7TC combo. Cetainly much easier to carry, but need to work out if quality & slight loss of speed will be detrimental for `birding`?

Saw a revue of the new 80-400 @ 400mm Vs the 70-200 + 2xTC. & the 80-400 was the winner!

thanks

i'm not sure there is a visible loss of IQ and if there is it's so slight it's more than made up for by having a zoom

loss of speed is even less important to me since i never shoot big birds < 5.6 anyway and there appears to be no diff in wide open vs stopped down on the 80-400

The other difference THIS side of the pond though is ........grey days & poor light! :frown: (& that's when it aint raining! lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Randy, I hope you have a law degree. You are going to have to represent me in a future divorce case if you keep posting these photos! If she finds another body and lens I am done for :smile:
Well done sir!

Rodney

Real Name
Randy
Randy, I hope you have a law degree. You are going to have to represent me in a future divorce case if you keep posting these photos! If she finds another body and lens I am done for :smile:
Well done sir!

Rodney

thanks rodney and good luck

Well done sir!

Rodney

If she finds another body, just make sure it looks like your body, and have it give her a great big :Love:!

Randy, picked up my D7100 and 80-400 combo yesterday afternoon, first impressions I am a happy camper. For those who live in climates of "not always great light", I live in Washington, the state, where we count our sunshine in minutes :eek: I did some very preliminary testing in my backyard yesterday, more will come this weekend when we set to have cloudy days again. I will be testing the following combos:
D7100, 80-400 with and without TC-14
D800, 80-400 with and without TC-14
D7100, 400 f2.8 - to compare as well with the D800, with all 3 TC's

No "scientific" testing, just my own seat-of-the-pants-how-does-it-"feel" stuff.

I am expecting that the 400 f2.8 is going to be a bit "snappier" on both bodies, and that the 80-400 is going to be darned fast as well, in all but the worst light.

I like the "new" crop, Randy. Of course you could always shoot "plain old DX" and crop after the fact, but being able to do this and create smaller files, only about 16mp, is really a bonus. Plus an extra 1fps and now you have only 1fps less than the D300 with grip and files with still better resolution. Not too shabby at all.

Real Name
Randy
If she finds another body, just make sure it looks like your body, and have it give her a great big :Love:!

Randy, picked up my D7100 and 80-400 combo yesterday afternoon, first impressions I am a happy camper. For those who live in climates of "not always great light", I live in Washington, the state, where we count our sunshine in minutes :eek: I did some very preliminary testing in my backyard yesterday, more will come this weekend when we set to have cloudy days again. I will be testing the following combos:
D7100, 80-400 with and without TC-14
D800, 80-400 with and without TC-14
D7100, 400 f2.8 - to compare as well with the D800, with all 3 TC's

No "scientific" testing, just my own seat-of-the-pants-how-does-it-"feel" stuff.

I am expecting that the 400 f2.8 is going to be a bit "snappier" on both bodies, and that the 80-400 is going to be darned fast as well, in all but the worst light.

I like the "new" crop, Randy. Of course you could always shoot "plain old DX" and crop after the fact, but being able to do this and create smaller files, only about 16mp, is really a bonus. Plus an extra 1fps and now you have only 1fps less than the D300 with grip and files with still better resolution. Not too shabby at all.

i know it's just a feeling but I like the crops in body vs in PP, they seem to look better

i know it's just a feeling but I like the crops in body vs in PP, they seem to look better

Totally agree, Randy. And with the added FPS and smaller files, helps the buffer issue as well.

When you think about this, coupled with the new 80-400, we sure have a plethora of options at our finger tips in one combo:

1. 14 or 12 bit, dependent on perceived quality
2. Std DX or 1.3 crop, helps file size and buffer
3. Very versatile zoom range in a hand-holdable package

I think I'm going to like it!

Question, VR on or off in your posted image? I have had at least as many issues using VR as not.

Latest threads

Top Bottom