The darkening

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by nfoto, Sep 22, 2005.

1. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The days are getting shorter, the air is becoming chilly, and the mindset of people is darkening. Once again, autumn creeps into our world.

D2X, 200/2 VR

I'm fortunate enough to live nearby a woodland extending uninterrupted for more than 100 km . Or is it so? I really don't like the dark Nordic woods, with strange creatures lurking within the deep shadows. But the subject calls for attention once in a while.

2. Really neat exposure on this image. Just by way of critique, the trunk on the right is so much brighter than the image as a whole that it becomes the main focus of attention. Were this my image I would change it from landscape to partrait and crop the left side of the image off. It is a wonderful image with the gently blur of the green branches. Nicely done.

3. this is incredible, the type of picture I would love to have framed in my office. The imagination wanders with the branches slight movement. Tell me about how this was done if you will.
    Dave

4. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Just hardly more than a point & shoot series really. I had completed a tiresome assignment in the field and still had some space left on the CF cards, plus needed to stretch out a bit. A strong wind had built up and I sensed a nice interplay of moving branches and trees in a nearby forest. Thus, I just moved the camera 90 degrees and snapped a few frames. To get better feeling of the movement itself I added multiexposure to the D2X.

You cannot just change a picture from portrait to landscape or crop it without commencing the visual process all over again. For my inner eye, this frame is the final, since I did spend some time trying to get it "right" in the first place. And the "white" contrasting the darkness is intentional, conveys the entire mood and has to remain.

This picture was taken today, by the way.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2005
  5. thanks for the explanation. It is high quality art in my eye. I trust it helped you wind down a bit too.
    Dave

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I like it.

I see no shiney eyes i the dark. :>)))

7. Your absolutely right Bjorn, as the maker it is your image and your creativity. I was just sharing my thoughts. I do like your image, it is very good and the motion is the best.

8. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi nfoto,

I can always expect a very artistic view from you. Very Nicely Done !

Regards

RFC

9. Neat capture Bjørn. I was peering into the photo to see what else might be lurking there. I like the offsetting stark white - it creates a discordant element that adds to the mystery. You have motivated me to give the multi-exposure a try.

10. Now I understand where all these Nordic legends and mystic tales originate from :smile:
    By coincidence, I am just re-editing a scan of a slide I made with my old FM2 in the early 90's in China. I named this pic "A glimpse of Fangorn". It's part of an idea I had to visualize my impressions of Tolkien's stories.
    Your wonderful pic might just fit in. It comes most close to what my impression of "The old Forest" would be.

Actually, no wonder that Peter Jackson chose a Norwegian for one of the main acts in his movie. From what I've seen in the "Making of" parts of the DVDs, Viggo Mortensen fits well in the scheme of the typical Norwegian you tried to convey here several times :smile: - individualist, very creative and spiritual mind, a bit crazy at times, always in for some unexpected jesting, not easy to take for pretentious or unaware people - heck, no wonder I like him :smile:

Cheers

11. nfoto

nfoto Guest

We don't need a pointer to the obvious if it's becoming obvious there is the obvious hiding somewhere inside the image. Even though our eyes don't observe, our mind does.

An image always should be interpreted. It's no benefit to the image, and the mind, if the interpretation is immediate. Just makes it line up with fast-food as it were.

12. nfoto

nfoto Guest

Might well be, but in fact Viggo is Danish :confused: We certainly know the difference !

13. Very nicely done, your forest look like a lot of forest we have that they grow so many trees in them that it's dark under them and if you get inside that forest you can easily get lost.

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Bjorn,

Still enjoy looking at this image.

15. Great image Bjorn.

I can just imagine my torch picking out the trunks of the trees like that, and me thinking .. "Do I really want to go any further into there"?