The Dawn of A New Day...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
This month, I am participating in the October Meme and this image did a couple of things. First, it got me out of my bed at the crack of dawn. :) Second, I did something I never thought I could do...

This photo was taken on the top floor of a rooftop garage next to my doctor's office. The top floor gives commanding views of St. Louis in all directions and I've always wanted to shoot there. The problem is that I suffer from a rather severe case of acrophobia (fear of heights), even though, ironically, I can board a flight and fly around the world without issue. I started to have a panic attack while driving up to the upper deck, but I was determined to get the shot. After I arrived to the top, I got out of my car, put my back against it and took two quick shots. I tried to get close to the edge of the retaining wall to get into a better position, but it was a no go. Once I took the images, it took me almost 20 minutes to exit the parking garage because I had to repeatedly pull into an empty space to calm down. Finally, when I exited the garage, I parked the car on the street and sat for another half hour until I could function well enough to drive. Came home with a headache as a souvenir. I tell you, it was quite the morning! :confused:

Anywhoo, I didn't think the two shots I took would come out, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised...

Jpg-Edit.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Alex
Very nice shot Lindee!

I guess I wont invite you to fly with my friends in prop planes then.

BTW, it is not too difficult to overcome ( I did - mostly). I can fly prop planes with no issues, but am not comfortable getting to the rail in balconies and looking down. Has to do with sitting down and being strapped in I guess.

Last edited:

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Lovely shot, the things we do to get a photo.

I have been fighting my fear of heights forever, I work in the building industry and often have to climb scaffolding. I have learnt never ever look down, just look straight ahead.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Very nice shot Lindee!

I guess I wont invite you to fly with my friends in prop planes then.

BTW, it is not too difficult to overcome ( I did - mostly). I can fly prop planes with no issues, but am not comfortable getting to the rail in balconies and looking down. Has to do with sitting down and being strapped in I guess.
Ehhh...that would be a "No, Thanks" from me!! :D

The views from the rooftop are amazing, Alex and you can see the city in every direction. I just can't stay conscious long enough to enjoy it, LOL! :ROFLMAO:

And thank you so much!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Lovely shot, the things we do to get a photo.

I have been fighting my fear of heights forever, I work in the building industry and often have to climb scaffolding. I have learnt never ever look down, just look straight ahead.
Climbing scaffolding? Ohhh no...! Bless your heart, you're a brave one! And thank you!!

Wonderful image! I have some problems with heights. For years, I could not get on a plane. I finally decided life was too short, and I wanted to see some of this world. It was hard, but I did it. You found that you could do it too! Look at the result.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
This really is just beautiful -- a wall hanger for sure!
Dramatic shot!

I'm extremely acrophobic, too. I'm fortunate that I can just avoid situations where I feel uncomfortable. But climbing scaffolding . . . !
Congrats and a wonderful image.
Wonderful image! I have some problems with heights. For years, I could not get on a plane. I finally decided life was too short, and I wanted to see some of this world. It was hard, but I did it. You found that you could do it too! Look at the result.
Well done. I'm not very good with hikes myself. Kudos to you with attempting to challenge your fears. Next time may be easier hopefully.
Thank you all very much! I don't plan on going back anytime soon, but I plan to start with something that's not so high up. Baby steps, as they say... :)

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Oh dear, don't visit my OF thread. That heights look scary when looking up from below...
Really pretty view of early morning in the city. The high view made the shot.
I love this so much! The photo really is a beauty. The sacrifice you made to get it is inspirational. We all have fears to conquer. I’m so impressed at your effort here!
Thank you! And Roland - I took a peek and wow!! Too high, LOL!!! :ROFLMAO:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
What a great image! And when you look at it you will remember how you conquered your fears that early morning! I, too, struggle with heights. I slithered on my belly just far eenough to get my wrists over the edge of a 1,000' drop to take this image. Hubby was standing over me casually shooting video...........:oops:

Latest threads

Top Bottom