The day I leave Nikon.

I thought was the day I die, or become filthy rich. However things changed. after lugging the D200 and wonderful 24-70mmG to and fro several countries. I came to a revelation. A dslr of any sort is not for me.

I don't like loud shutters, and prefer silent shutters after using a old RF. Also since I got back from USA, I hardly take the D200 with me, along with my econ books, missing out on quality opportunities. This is due to the weight and size of the camera and lens.

yes I'm a quality nut, however I have decided to take another path in my photography.

DSC_9419.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I intend to take this camera with me to Singapore, England, Scotland(and the Orkney's; got some family there.) I don't think I'll give up all my nikon gear yet, but after first impressions of the camera. I am impressed how intuitive the camera is, and that it's firmware is miles ahead IMO.

Yes, yes...you've really downgraded there. :biggrin:

Depends how you view it. I now can take this with me tomorrow, and take pictures. whereas the D200 will be staying at home. I don't know if you were joking here or not. I have asperger's.

Depends how you view it. I now can take this with me tomorrow, and take pictures. whereas the D200 will be staying at home. I don't know if you were joking here or not. I have asperger's.

Yes, indeed, I was joking, hence the smiley. :wink: I have a D200, but would LOVE to get a good RF, especially a Leica.

You'll be back.:biggrin:

The Leica is a nice landscape/static image camera but if you shoot anything that moves, I'd keep the D200 close to you.:smile:

I'm thinking of doing the same (but getting the LX5 as it's cheaper). I've been taking less and less photo's of late, primarily because I am less motivated to carry around my camera and lens, especially when I'm out skating.

Congrats.

The more I do street shooting, the more I wish for a smaller and more discreet camera. Ironically, I got a 70-200 originally to give me some covert (HA!) reach on the streets.

The X100 is looking mighty interesting right now.

I'm thinking of doing the same (but getting the LX5 as it's cheaper). I've been taking less and less photo's of late, primarily because I am less motivated to carry around my camera and lens, especially when I'm out skating.

Well my leica came with free stuff from leica partners, and free firmware updates, which I would expect.

Also i get a free copy of the latest version of Lightroom, and some other software from Leica. It is my belief, Leica has some intellectual property that panasonic does not have in the camera. Also i subjectively 'see' the leica rendering is different to the pana.

Lastly the I liked Leica's design more, and it came with a red dot. :tongue:

to the guy commenting on the NEX 5 and 3. I think they have a long way to go. it might be okay, for the average user, but for someone like me that uses only M and A modes, it's a not very user friendly in altering all the settings. If anything I would be looking out for the X2. I use wideangles (24-58mm) 35mm being the sweetspot i like most.

infact give me a 35mm full-frame leaf shutter camera, with the best 35mm there is, and i don't think i'll ever need another camera.

I'm seriously thinking of the new Fuji x100 for my replacement. Then hope they come out with an interchangeable lense model later. It will fill my needs in the years to come I'm sure.

I could not agree more, but I chose the Fuji X100. I still use the D700 and its lenses as much as before, but now have a small portable camera on my hip wherever I go.

In working days with film, I and most shooters I knew carried small compact rangefinder cameras after the working day was done. No one wants to lug an 8×10 Sinar monorail, case of film holders and a 20 pound tripod when just walking to a café to meet friends for lunch. Since the beginning of digital photography, I have been waiting for this camera.

In the beginning, there was the Coolpix 990, 5000 and 8400, which cost about the same as the X100, but had tiny sensors. Above ISO200, noise was becoming intrusive. Then all the companies stopped making prosumer compacts at this level. The Fuji is the first camera that meets the criteria for which I was looking. It is the perfect compliment to the D700—not in any way a replacement.

I've started thinking this way. Got the D7K instead of waiting for the D400. I'm going to look very hard at a small system in the future. Even going from the D200 to the D7K was a big deal. I was using it with the Tamron 90 the other day and it felt so light....

I'm seriously thinking of the new Fuji x100 for my replacement. Then hope they come out with an interchangeable lense model later. It will fill my needs in the years to come I'm sure.

While the hybrid finder is the most obvious bit of innovation, the fact that the sensor was designed along with the lens so all light rays enter at optimum angles is the actual big feature. The sensor only works with this lens and image quality is stunning—on par with my D700 and great Nikon glass—at least up to ISO3200.

Interchangeable lenses would not work with such a custom sensor so the camera would be diminished, reducing it to something like the APS-C mirrorless cameras from Samsung and Sony. Or even worse, Micro Four Thirds cameras with training wheels.

It is a completely self-sufficient camera that rides in a small pouch at my belt. I have a D700 and an arsenal of glass when I need versatility. When I want to travel light—walking to the store, or café to meet friends for lunch—the X100 is there. If I wanted a system camera, there are now many mirrorless cameras to choose from—none which interested me in the least.

This camera perfectly meets my needs and in the past month and a half has yielded a high percentage of keepers. Nearly silent and very non-intrusive, I photograph people from a very short distance, getting very intimate images of their emotions. The camera never intrudes.

It is the 2011 version of my beloved Konica S3 which I carried after each working day ended, but with the cams, levers and mirrors of the mechanical rangefinder replaced with 2011 contrast detection focusing. As I walk out, I set it for the day, and I am ready on a moment's notice to pull it from the pouch and be shooting.

The Konica had an f/1.8 35mm lens of high quality and the X100 a functionally similar f/2.0 35mm equivalent. The Konica—like the X100—was capable of publication quality images and dozens were published. Both are ideal cameras when you have absolutely nothing in mind to shoot. However, when the unexpected presents itself, the very capable little camera is there.

i recently sold off my old Leica M6, 28mm Elmarit and 90mm Summicron.

one day, when i've paid off a bunch of other gunk, i might re-invest in Leica RF digi kit. but not for a while.

Do what makes YOU happy! I on the other hand am a Canon shooter and love Canon! So what am I doing here? LOL...I started out with Nikon.

Congrats on your new baby! Enjoy it.

I thought was the day I die, or become filthy rich. However things changed. after lugging the D200 and wonderful 24-70mmG to and fro several countries. I came to a revelation. A dslr of any sort is not for me.

I don't like loud shutters, and prefer silent shutters after using a old RF. Also since I got back from USA, I hardly take the D200 with me, along with my econ books, missing out on quality opportunities. This is due to the weight and size of the camera and lens.

yes I'm a quality nut, however I have decided to take another path in my photography.

http://i639.photobucket.com/albums/uu120/SoliloCey/DSC_9419.jpg

I intend to take this camera with me to Singapore, England, Scotland(and the Orkney's; got some family there.) I don't think I'll give up all my nikon gear yet, but after first impressions of the camera. I am impressed how intuitive the camera is, and that it's firmware is miles ahead IMO.

Many photographers' expectations, desires, willingness, etc., frequently evolve (to the benefit of camera manufacturers - :smile:), and I hope that your new direction will serve you well. I'll look forward to seeing how this change works out for you. I'll bet that it will be better than OK - :wink:

Nice things being said about the X100.. but not enough evidence to prove its worthiness! :biggrin: Wink...*post photos* Wink...

Like that Leica a lot too, would love to see what comes of it, congrats!

Doug

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom