The deep dark hole of facebook

I have been absent from the cafe for quite some time. OH! I have an excuse! It stared small and grew exponentially as the facebook bots continued to feed me links and group suggestions and a multitude of other enticements to keep me under their spell. Many of my friends and most of my family do all of their communicating through FB so to be included and keep up to date on their activities I guessed I had to be on FB as well. that may actually be true but the cost is too overwhelming.

A person can stay on FB all day and never get caught up and even doing a small amount of time on FB leaves little rewarding benefit and takes away time that could better be used to catch up- culling, editing and sharing in "real sites such as this one. More importantly allow for face to face interaction with friends and family...no pun intended.

Most people on FB probably think it is a balanced and fair site but that is far from the truth. many of the special groups are run by a small backroom group people to control how they want the group to proceed and what is displayed. Typically the person that started the group although maybe no longer an admin controls the group.

in the future I will post on legitimate sites such as this one and thusly be assured of a fair and intelligent critique. Any photos that I care to share will be emailed to a select few or posted here.

My thanks to the cafe for providing a place to rant! And my apologies for being gone for so long. I can see I have many great photos to check out.

Greg

I belong to one of the two groups on Facebook that specialize in drop art photography. I use Facebook for nothing else. If I could find a similar group elsewhere, I would drop Facebook in a nanosecond. That's because its platform is so terrible. It's truly amazing that such a large company with such a large amount of money with such a large number of subscribers that has been in business such a large amount of time still has such a terrible platform.

Last edited:
I belong to one of the two groups on Facebook that specialize in drop art photography. I use Facebook for nothing else. If I could find a similar group elsewhere, I would drop Facebook in a nanosecond. That's because its platform is so terrible. It's truly amazing that such a large company with such a large amount of money with such a large number of subscribers that has been in business such a large amount of time still has such a terrible platform.
Agree. And there is nowhere to turn for problems. I manage a private FB group and, when I run into the many interface idiocies, there is no help. Posts to the "help" function is a black hole. That something so poorly done should have so many consumers is proof of the prescience of H. L. Mencken who observed, "No one ever lost money underestimating the intelligence of the American consumer."

i’m on FB, been on it for years. i really dislike it, no…let me specific - I hate it. I’ve read a couple of books on how it operates, it is without a doubt an evil entity. I spend a minimal amount of time there, looking at some biking and dog groups.

Last edited:
have been absent from the cafe for quite some time. OH! I have an excuse! It stared small and grew exponentially as the facebook bots continued to feed me links and group suggestions and a multitude of other enticements to keep me under their spell. Many of my friends and most of my family do all of their communicating through FB so to be included and keep up to date on their activities I guessed I had to be on FB as well. that may actually be true but the cost is too overwhelming.

A person can stay on FB all day and never get caught up and even doing a small amount of time on FB leaves little rewarding benefit and takes away time that could better be used to catch up- culling, editing and sharing in "real sites such as this one. More importantly allow for face to face interaction with friends and family...no pun intended.

Most people on FB probably think it is a balanced and fair site but that is far from the truth. many of the special groups are run by a small backroom group people to control how they want the group to proceed and what is displayed. Typically the person that started the group although maybe no longer an admin controls the group.

in the future I will post on legitimate sites such as this one and thusly be assured of a fair and intelligent critique. Any photos that I care to share will be emailed to a select few or posted here.

My thanks to the cafe for providing a place to rant! And my apologies for being gone for so long. I can see I have many great photos to check out.

Greg
Like many have said, I have never been on facebook. I am on LinkedIn but I imagine I will cancel my account there in another year. For one reason, there is too much FaceBook fluff showing up in it now. I am not into the cutesy video garbage that is beginning to appear. Also in August of next year, I will reach my official SS retirement age. At that point, my professional profile will disappear. For the life of me, I cannot understand why I keep getting contacted by recruiters who are looking for people with 5 years experience. Maybe they think I will do the work of 8.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
FB helps me keep up with relatives and friends -- genuine, close friends, some I've known for 60 years -- who are scattered across the US. I keep up in other ways, too, but I find FB helpful in that regard.

Last edited:
FB helps me keep up with relatives and friends -- genuine, close friends, some I've known for 60 years, who are scattered across the US. I keep up in other ways, too, but I find FB helpful in that regard.
Exactly. FB is what you make of it. If you can't "keep up" with everything you probably have it mis-managed. Too many so-called friends (I only add people I truly know), too many groups (I remove them from my feed and only visit them when I want to), I never EVER allow for mobile/SMS/Email notifications (i review what I want, when I want) and I only follow companies that provide me value (ones where I want to know their COVID status of opening, hour changes, deals, product launches, etc.).

Can't say much about the interface other than FB built it and it's a very popular back end coding language because of them however I still stand by the notion that those who get frustrated by it aren't managing it well. Otherwise, dump it and move on.

All valid points. I never add "suggested friends of a friend" type friends and only have a few true friend on there. There are several groups that have some value and many have value.

So I am assuming I am mismanaging it and thus has decided to move as was suggested by a couple of responses.

Again. just thankful for a place to rant.

I used FB when it first started as means if staying in touch with our children and their families. My son commented one day ”you don’t have any friends”, and I replied that is by design, as I don’t want a horde of people as “friends”, and I really don’t trust FB security.

Today, we stay in touch via a family text thread, which works well for us.

Some years ago a couple of friends kept pressing me to join FB, c'mon, join FB, so finally I reluctantly did. I'm still on it now but I have just a few friends on it and most of the time my main interest is the groups to which I belong, as they address various topics in which I'm interested, including, of course, photography. Some days I don't bother looking at FB and occasionally I just plain forget to do so, but the world keeps moving on anyway. Any actual serious contact I want to have with family members or friends is still done by email, texting or phone calls -- a bit more private and secure than FB.

Today, we stay in touch via a family text thread, which works well for us.
Yes, the FB group chats are most useful.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom