The deer are coming earlier for dinner...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by drueter, Jun 15, 2005.

1. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    We have a few deer that visit us almost every day to feast on the corn and apples my wife puts out for them. I seldom get any photo opps since they usually come well after dark. The weather has been extremely hot and dry here lately, but I don't know if that's affecting their schedule and bringing them by earlier. I finally had a chance this week to get some photos in late evening light that aren't the best, but at least I got some.

All taken with the D2H, 24-120 VR, handheld -- tripod would have helped but likely spooked them even more -- realized after I took all the shots that I had forgotten to turn the VR on! Lost a lot of the shots to movement as a result. I hope they come back again before dark -- I'll be prepared with the 70-200 and have the VR on!!

These must be yearlings because they're still letting the young buck tag along:

1/30s f/5.6 at 120.0mm iso640

Closer crop of the young buck

1/30s f/5.6 at 120.0mm iso640
    View attachment 10487

And this is what they thought of me taking their photos -- note the raspberries I'm getting from the deer looking at me!

1/40s f/5.6 at 120.0mm iso640
    View attachment 10488

Comments, critiques, suggestions are always welcome!

2. Well they are sure posing for you. They are quite delicate looking deer next to the mule deer that we have here in the mountain west.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think those deer are beautiful animals. You did a great rescue job on them... Don't you hate it when you forget the VR.. grrrrr.....

Maybe a bit of fill flash...If it is that late. Looks like a good amount of light though.

I see one sticking his tounge out at you :>)))))))

4. What kind of deer are these, Don? We feed ours cracked corn. I took this one this afternoon of "Dice", the fawn, and her mom, Donnatu. The big bulge is how the doe's leg healed after it was broken. It's amazing she survived.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

5. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Yes, they were very wary of me standing about 20 feet away behind the fence, so they kept looking at me - and posing. They do look delicate -- very thin coat for the hot Texas weather.

6. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks, Gale! Yes, I hate it when I have those senior moments and forget the VR! :x :x

I did try fill flash on a couple of shots which I haven't processed yet -- I'll take a look at them to see how they turned out. Problem with fill flash was it spooked them and made them run toward the woods. :( I wish they would let me use it because the light was limited.

7. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Hi, Virginia! These are your basic White-Tailed Deer. I assume they have such fine, delicate coats because of the heat and humidity here in the south. Their fur doesn't get much thicker than this, even in the winter (not sure you should even call it "winter" here -- pretty mild temperatures).

8. They are beautiful and very delicate looking animals, Don. Looks like they admire you too!

Virginia
    aka beaucamera.

P.S. Ours are black-tailed deer.

9. Tell your wife to put out more feed these are skinny lil boogers.
    Great captures tho, I look forward to more.

10. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Thanks, Dave! My wife goes through a 50lb bag of deer corn about every 10 days feeding the deer and the geese/ducks that are on the pond! Don't know why they're so skinny!

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Don,

You have some very fine images here. I especially like the #2 where the young male is staring right at you.

Beautiful captures. :wink:

12. nice shots

considering no VR and slowww shutter speeds, recovered very well. Very different looking deer up north, ours are much fatter and bigger. LOL
    did I mention no tame deer around here. LOL....... oh and what is that white stuff in my picture :roll:

13. that me be showing off keith, but I LIKE IT!

14. DAve

Dave, ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p :p After stairing at everyones birdy pics in Florida, peoples backyards, front yards, GBH's, herons, aligator zoo, etc etc etc, dang it, I got to throw something in the fire. We have the odd thing up north. LOL......................... I'm just jealous :cry:

man do I want to go to Florida and join in on the festivities!!!! I hoping for January, just cant take it any more!!!!!!!!! LOL

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: DAve

Hey Keith, if you let me borrow that 400 2.8 for about 6 months, I'll come drive you down to FL personally.... 8)