The Destruction of Knowledge

Real Name
Chris

bookmass.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dumpster.jpg

3books.jpg

Shot on trix with a Nikon FG and 43-86mm f/3.5 AI'd.

Nice images. I like #1 the best of the series. Do you know the whole story that goes with this?

Seems like a waste. They must be last years edition. They need a new edition each year to soak more cash from the students. I'm partial to 3, but each is telling it's own story.

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Glenn, Art, Ray and Nate! Yes Art, I do know the whole story. Like Glenn said, it's sad: This is a collection of the Chemical Abstracts, a journal that lists all of the published chemistry research. The set was leather bound and dated back to the beginning, 1904.

My department is growing, and running out of space. I tried for months to find someone who wanted them - they were free for pick-up (shipping was out of the question - it would have been thousands!) But to no avail. Eventually we had to throw them away. It took a HUGE dumpster, and we filled it to the top.

Very sad. I still feel bad about it.

The marks you see on the prints are done in protest. I didn't wash the negatives.

I'm surprised your local library wouldn't take them. Very sad indeed, the backstory only adds to the photos :(

Without knowing the story behind it, the word Oppression comes to mind. Well seen,framed & shot Chris!

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Martin, Marty and Steve! The library was the first on the list, but I wasn't surprised they didn't want them. Libraries these days are getting rid of uncirculated books at an alarming rate. We'll be lucky if our kids remember what a paper book looked like.

Nice work. Shame the books had to be destoyed though.

I'm shocked nobody wanted them. You'd think be of use to at least one person or university.

Real Name
Chris
Thanks Robert! No, not a chance that any educational institute would want them - that's why we were getting rid of them. All of the information is online.

Thanks Robert! No, not a chance that any educational institute would want them - that's why we were getting rid of them. All of the information is online.

Yeah, of course, I didn't think of online publishing!

Still a shame though, old scholarly texts have a certain charm.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom