The Devil Is In The Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jarrell, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    Yesterday I posted a picture of a Yellow Jacket (I finally remembered the name of these small, colorful members of the wasp family), and while it came out pretty good considering it's such a small crop of the total frame, it did need some improvement. Enter Diane (DianeR) from stage left, walked over to me and quietly said, and I paraphrase here, I think it would be a leeeetle bit better if the leaf was burned in.
    The original
    and with the improvement..
    I usually use Nik Effects Pro Selective (there I go again... I'm pretty sure that's the name), for things like burning dodging etc.
    Thanks Diane!
    Jarrell
    Oh! While I was at it I lightened the wasp a tiny bit also with the same PS plugin.

2. Lol!

That's the ticket!! How I wish I really COULD look over your shoulder and watch you do your magic - can't you move a little further southwest? I promise I wouldn't be too much of a pest! :biggrin:

3. Even better sir.
    Now, Print IT! Frame IT! Hang IT!

I wish I knew better how to do these things. How do you just burn the leaf - by using a mask perhaps?

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sure made it pop out a bit more Jarrell.
    Nice

5. Jarrell,

Yes, even better! Did you dodge and sharpen the yellow jacket as well, or is just an impression?

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Uh, Jarrell, could you give us a link to that plug-in. please. :rolleyes:

Excellent shot BTW. :wink:

Thanks!!

7. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    The plugin I use is found here..
    http://www.nikmultimedia.com/colorefexpro/usa/entry.php?view=selectedition
    I like the 'select' edition because it allows you to place the effect only where you want or need it or you can apply it globally. I use a Wacom digital tablet, one of the smaller ones (4x5 inch, I believe) to help me in doing this. After you get used to a tablet you'll wonder how you ever did anything without it.
    Philippe, yes I did dodge and sharpen the yellow jacket separately. As a matter of fact, the only areas in the picture that are sharpened are the areas of the wasp and an inch or two to each side of it and the leaf. Everything else is unsharpened except for minor global sharpening after the image was resized for the web.
    If anyone has ideas on how to do things better I'm always.. always ready to learn..
    Jarrell