Critique The devil made me do it.

I've seen so many images of an egg supported by two forks that I've resisted making my own up until now. Though I finally succumbed to the temptation, mine is in a less traditional style that includes a spatula, use of color and a dramatic look partly because of the somewhat grungy look in the metal utensils.

EDIT: Karen recommended cropping to eliminate part of the bottom. I liked the idea so the revised version, which also has a different aspect ratio and a small hair spotted by Nick removed from the edge of the egg, is now added to this post.

Setup
The tabletop is silver semi-glossy presentation board. The background is black velvet. Two small continuous-light lamps were on the left front and right front at the level of the tabletop. The one on the left was fitted with a red gel and the one on the right was fitted with two yellow gels and a diffusion sock to reduce brightness. A white reflector above the scene brightened the tabletop behind the subject.

Focus Stacking
15 focus-bracketed images at Nikon step size 3 were stacked in Helicon Focus at its default settings. The foreground part of the spatula and the nearest part of the egg were intentionally left at a soft focus to help convey a three-dimensional feeling.

Original
Mike 2020-11-03--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Revised
Mike 2020-11-03--0003-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
The image is certainly a creative take on the egg and forks concept.

A lot going on in this image. 3 strong subjects and strong colored lighting. One suggestion is to crop about half the bright bottom below the start of the slots in the spatula - thus rendering the spatula to a supporting role :) and not a focal point. IMHO the curves of the curves and "flow" are then more dominant also.

Latest threads

Top Bottom