The Difference between a male and female Pileated Woodpecker.

This year I've been blessed with regular visits from what used to me my nemesis - the Pileated Woodpecker. As some of you might know that I've for the past 35 years or so have had rare occasion to photograph this large prehistoric looking woodpecker
Today I was sit-in on the porch when not one but two pileated landed on the trees in my courtyard 15-20 feet away. Much to my delight they were a couple - a male and a female.
Can you spot the difference? Which is male and which is female.
Female   pileated ND6 4087.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Male  pileated ND6 4099.jpg

Female pileated 4084 resized.jpg

I don't know about the gender but the D6 (combined with your photographic skill) really nailed those images.
Thanks very much John.
+1 for the male being the red cheeked specimen in image #2. Out of this excellent set, I like image #3 the best.
Thanks. Andy. I like it as well. It shows the whole bird and show the subtle variation in feather colours.
Well done Bob. So much detail.
thanks a lot Bill. Much appreciated

In terms of m/f differences, don’t think anyone has mentioned the differences in crests. The male crest extends further on the top of the head almost reaching the base of the beak. In contrast the female has significantly less red covering the top of the head.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom