The DMZ! 12 images

So we’ve been in S. Korea for almost two years now, always saying something like “we’ll go to the DMZ (demilitarized zone) next month,” and we finally went only 3 months before we’re supposed to leave. It was a great tour, and we had good weather. Very glad we finally did it. The below photos are nothing spectacular, but still neat nonetheless, because less than 1% of Americans will get to see the DMZ. At the actual DMZ we weren’t allowed to take any bags (women couldn’t even carry purses), and we could only take pictures when the tour guide (US Soldier) said so, and of certain things. So I only had my kit lens.

1. Looking into North Korea.
dmz-tour-050-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Dueling Flags. On the left is “Propaganda Village,” the closest North Korean town (actually in the DMZ). Most of the town is fake, designed to show South Koreans that things aren’t so bad.

On the right is “Freedom Village,” a South Korean town, also in the DMZ. Neat fact, the citizens of Freedom Village must sleep at least 212 nights in the village in order to maintain their citizenship. Being a citizen has rewards. No taxes, salary paid by the government, and free college education to any school of their choice. Not too bad… ya know, minus the threat of the 4th largest army in the world only 2000m away.
dmz-tour-119-2.jpg

3. Propaganda Village. The North Korean flag pole sits higher than the South Korean flag. Only because once the sK’s built their flag taller, the nK’s had to build a taller flag pole. They actually came to an agreement not to build anymore flag poles, and let nK have a small victory lol
dmz-tour-131-3.jpg

4. Propaganda Village.
dmz-tour-135-4.jpg

5. The Last Stop. This is the last toll gate in South Korea. The only people that go through it, are the 800 South Koreans that work in North Korea.
dmz-tour-243-5.jpg

6. The North Korean House. The North Korean guard stands near the column, sometimes ducking behind and looking through binoculars. At all times we (the tourists) are being video recorded by the North Koreans.
dmz-tour-302-9.jpg

7. Stand Firm. The South Korean guards are only there for the protection of the tourists. They stand half exposed, wearing dark sunglasses so the nK’s cannot see their eyes.
dmz-tour-262-6.jpg

8. A Table Divided. This table sits half in South Korea and half in North Korea. It is where they come together for meetings. The group on the opposite side of the table are actually standing in North Korea.
dmz-tour-280-7.jpg

9. The Guard. The guard stands at the end of the table, one foot in North Korea. When visitors aren’t here, the North Koreans also do tours. They have been known to go inside and jump up on the tables and get boot prints all over them out of disrespect.
dmz-tour-289-8.jpg

10. Hope. This monument was placed by the Canadians, and it says that 1000m directly in front of it is the house where the Armistice Agreement was signed.
dmz-tour-313-10.jpg

11. Propaganda Village
dmz-tour-333-11.jpg

12. The Famous Poplar. This monument marks the location of the famous poplar tree that was the site of the ax murder. The tree stood so tall that it blocked view from Tower 2 to Tower 3, so the South Koreans decided to cut it down. However, the North Koreans didn’t like that, and rushed in and took their axes and used them as weapons, murdering several of the Soldiers. Eventually they did get the tree removed, but it was a full blown military operation.
dmz-tour-346-13.jpg

There are a few more on my blog, but I thought you all would enjoy seeing them.

Thanks for looking! Steven

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. As a young pilot my dad flew A-26 Invader attack bombers in the Korean conflict. He made quite a few images on Kodachrome while he was there. Thanks!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Excellent commentary and accompanying images. Probably a place I'll never get to, so thank you very much for sharing these...!

Thanks for sharing something most of us will probably never see.
I felt the tension in your images or maybe it was the descriptions.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed the tour. :)

Thanks for sharing something most of us will probably never see.
I felt the tension in your images or maybe it was the descriptions.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed the tour. :)
There was definitely a tension in the air when we were at the DMZ. So many security cameras, from both the North and South Koreans. We werent allowed to photograph certain buildings. It was a great reminder for me of I am stationed in S. Korea.

I almost got to visit S. Korea in 1976 after N.Korean soldiers murdered some U.S service men on the DMZ. I was at Ft. Lewis and went into 8 days of 24 hour lock down. Those photos show that much hasn't changed. I agree they do show tension.

Thanks for your service.

I almost got to visit S. Korea in 1976 after N.Korean soldiers murdered some U.S service men on the DMZ. I was at Ft. Lewis and went into 8 days of 24 hour lock down. Those photos show that much hasn't changed. I agree they do show tension.

Thanks for your service.

That must have been the ax murder at the site in my last Photo. Thank you for your service!

Last November, after the Yeonpyeong-do artillery shellings, we were on lock down for about a month. It was a very intense time over here

Latest threads

Top Bottom