The Dock on Big Sur

I'm finding that applications I put in the Dock soon disappear and those I say "Remove from Dock" stubbornly reappear. These changes happen w/o a reboot, just when I'm away from the computer for a while and it goes into "sleep" mode.

(2020 iMac running MacOS 11.2)

Anyone else have this problem?

I did the upgrade to 11.4 last night. After the reboot, applications recently placed in the Dock had disappeared and the old ones I had removed reappeared.

I've now reconfigured the Dock to contain only the apps I want. I'll see how long it lasts.

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 8.48.32 AM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Yes, I am using four desktops.

I rebooted today, and several apps disappeared from the dock again. Excel is gone, as is Nikon View NXi. Others, such as Numbers and LibreOffice which I had removed from the dock, show up there again.

Perhaps because Monterey is the next version of the OS.

I would be in no rush to step into the next one when the current version isn't working properly though.

I would be in no rush to step into the next one when the current version isn't working properly though.

Pardon my ignorance.

I'm in no hurry to "upgrade". I usually wait until just before the next OS comes out before upgrading to the current one. The laptop I'm typing this on is still on Mojave.

The laptop I'm typing this on is still on Mojave.
That may be your problem. Mojave was very buggy and Catalina runs so much better. I wouldn't even begin troubleshooting until you did an upgrade. If you can do big sur even it is better than mojave.

That may be your problem. Mojave was very buggy and Catalina runs so much better. I wouldn't even begin troubleshooting until you did an upgrade. If you can do big sur even it is better than mojave.

Sorry, I guess that statement was misleading. The problem with the dock is not on the laptop, but on my iMac which is running Big Sur.

I did not know Monterey is the next version.
I thought demiro mentioned that since Big Sur is in very close proximity to Monterey.
Beautiful area.
We make it down there whenever we visit Monterey.

Last edited:
Sorry, I guess that statement was misleading. The problem with the dock is not on the laptop, but on my iMac which is running Big Sur.
Yeah I missed you putting big sur in the subject. I'd have to look it up but there may be a PLIST file for the dock that you could delete and restart the computer to see if it regenerates. Usually it's something getting corrupt like mentioned above

I did not know Monterey is the next version.
I thought demiro mentioned that since Big Sur is in very close proximity to Monterey.
Beautiful area.
We make it down there whenever we visit Monterey.

Yeah, I was making a joke. I guess the ;) didn't sell it though...

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom