the double play (large)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by JB, Aug 31, 2005.

1. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
  2. Stunning! I wish I could get every one of my sequences in focus like that.

Looks like #45 wasn't quite in the baseline, was he? And they say baseball isn't a contact sport.

Again, nice work!

Rich

3. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Very cool sequence, Jim! Man, was 45 ever off the baseline!

4. Very nice sequence, Jim! Looks like #45 missed the base by about a mile!

Is that by chance the Pawtucket Red Sox that #45 is playing for? (uniform looks quite familiar).

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    As the others have said, the series of images was very nicely captured. Keep up the great work, JB.

6. JMartin

JMartin Guest

Very nice series JB. I really wish I had a D2H over my D100 for this type stuff.

As for #45 being out of the base line, this is something you are seeing more and more of, and it isn't being enforced, even in MLB. The 2nd baseman or SS have already made the force out so the base runner doesn't even attempt to slide to the bag, they go for the fielder to try and break up the double play.

I have seen several players get hurt badly by this move, I guess it will take a big name player like Jeter getting hurt before something is done about it.

Sorry for the small rant in your post JB... I am just a long time lover of baseball and played for 10 years. I hate seeing the game evolve into where it is going.

As for the team #45 plays for, it looks like the Washington Wild Things, but seeing you are from the Washington DC area, I don't think the Frontier League has any teams near you.

7. You gotta love the D2H and you put it to the test with this series. Well done shots.

8. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Thanks guys!

Thanks guys!

The runner was way out of the baseline as you noticed. The SS showed enormous determination to turn the double play, you can see that in the SS's focus on 1B in frame 2 even after the runner has knocked both legs well out from under him.

This is the Frederick (MD) Keys vs Winston-Salem (NC) Warthogs. Carolina League, Class A.

With the runner on 1B I anticipated a play at 2B, framed the shot and prefocused on the bag. I was shooting RAW at 5 FPS.

9. JB,

That certainly is a great series. The color and DOF is also perfect in my opinion. Also, I noticed your copyright on the bottom left. I have to ask, what is that font you're using? I really like that look.

10. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    wish I knew

Christian,

Thanks!

Sorry, I wish I remembered which typeface I used on the copyright. To find it again I'd need to search through all the PS/CS fonts, a painful task. I like the casual feel and it's clear enough that it remains legible even when fairly small and on complex backgrounds. If I loose it one day I'll definately search for it again.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2005
  11. Looking closely at the image the SS and possible the runner had to have tagged the bag because of the dirt that was kicked up in image #1 and #2. Was that all from the SS tagging the bag