1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The dreaded "My first wedding" post (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Formal Portraits and Weddings' started by SteveM10, Aug 10, 2009.

1. SteveM10

SteveM10

Jun 5, 2009
    Parrish, FL
    Well I took my first wedding shots on Saturday. I did it as a "third" shooter with a buddy of mine that does this full time. My hope is that when I retire in two years I can do this as my second career.

Please let me know what you think of the shots and if there is anything I can do to make them better. The lighting at the reception was awful with a mix of DJ lights and yellow "candle light" lights around the room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#4 This has an added action to it
    [​IMG]

#5 As does this
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  2. #8 is the best :smile::smile:

3. D300fan

D300fan

Mar 30, 2008
    Maryland
    What is with the skin tones in #5? I really like #6 and 8.

4. SteveM10

SteveM10

Jun 5, 2009
    Parrish, FL
    #5 has a Topaz adjust added to it. Just wanted to see what the thoughts were on that one.

5. Some very nice shots there. The topaz pic looks a bit to me like they have dirty faces.

6. Zee71

Zee71

Apr 1, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Drop the topaz effect.........I like images #8 and #10. I think some of the other images need some additional post processing.

7. I really like #10. i'm a big fan of detail shots like this. Very cool shot!

8. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    +1

I think you did a good job, though. I like #6 the best.

9. bbcoach15

bbcoach15

Jan 8, 2009
    Ohio
    I've never shot weddings and I'm really new to photography but I did notice a few things and I could be really wrong. First of all, I really like 6,8,9, and 10. I like the idea in 2, but something about it is a little off. But I do kind of like it. I love the bokeh in #1, but i think it would have been slightly better if you could have gotten the focus on both the bride's face and her father. And lastly in #5, was it the intent to have them all looking to your left, or was someone else taking a photo or something else going on and they all looked that way. Again, I'm really new to this so take my advice for what its worth!

10. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    Lots of good photos here, although as a critique I'd say that you should never shoot people shots where there can be casual motion at as slow as 1/80s. Bump up ISO a little more to 800 so that you've got 1/160s which should lock the shots down where there's just a bit of subject motion a lot better. Or use some flash, or if that's not possible go to a faster prime lens. 1/125s is usually as slow as I like to go. You can always clean up noise later, but a motion blurred shot is lost forever.

I did the same thing the first time I shot a wedding as a second shooter. Cheaped out too much on ISO and as a result lost a bunch of shots due to blur that I would have had if I had just pushed the ISO another stop. Nail the exposure and/or shoot RAW and you can always clean up the higher ISO stuff to taste later, but all hope is lost if something is motion blurred.

11. SteveM10

SteveM10

Jun 5, 2009
    Parrish, FL
    Thank you very much for the tip. I did notice that I had several photos that were not as sharp as I would have liked and wasn't sure why. Now I know. I was shooting in aperture priority and never really paid attention to the ss. Rookie mistakes I guess.

12. DangerKilo

DangerKilo

May 14, 2009
    Georgia
    they are all gone now... only the Xs... sadness. would you mind making the photos available again?

Daniel

13. pics dont work for me.

14. devo

devo

Sep 22, 2008
    Philly / SoMD
    ditto

15. SteveM10

SteveM10

Jun 5, 2009
    Parrish, FL
    Pics are back.... sorry about that. I redid my web site and forgot to update them.

16. I'd give them a choice, with or without the processing. Looks abit off to me but that may be what you were going for... fine
    Generally, old school, traditional weddings...... ?

17. 1,3,7,8 and 10 are fine to me, 10 well spotted.

The others dont work for me.

18. Nice Pics. I would agree that the effect in #5 (Topaz Adjust) doesn't work for that one. There are tons of TA setting that might be able to be applied successfully to some of these pics, but that one took it a little too far.

I like #8 and #10 the best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.