The DSLR will probably die...

Amin Sabet

Administrator
Administrator
Real Name
Amin
My work is blocking that site, but I do think mirrors will gradually be phased out. And when I look at the following video, I have to admit that I don't have any idea what the future of standalone cameras will look like.

Real Name
Andrew
I think we are doing to get an amalgamation of technologies. One of the camera companies is going to realize that the computational elements in the cell phones are worthy of integrating into mirrorless cameras and then we'll start seeing "apertureless" lenses. Lytro and Light are on to something, they are just not fully fleshed out ideas or implementations yet. Problem is those small companies do not have the R&D dollars and hundreds of years of experience to make something that is market viable.

A lot of new start companies like that are hoping that they will get bought out by bigger companies for millions/billions, but that has not been happening.

My work is blocking that site, but I do think mirrors will gradually be phased out. And when I look at the following video, I have to admit that I don't have any idea what the future of standalone cameras will look like.

Mark Levoy is the person who's Lectures on Digital Photography I mentioned in this thread. I met him on the Lindblad/Net Geo Antarctica cruise last December. He has convinced me that the future of photography is in computational advances as that YouTube video makes clear.

I highly recommend sitting through his lectures when you have some time to spare.

I am sure, over time, technology will replace many things. Gas burning cars will go away in time, etc. Evolution is always going to happen, and we want it to, in all areas of life.

We have been using mirrors and prisms for decades and people are still taking wonderful photos with them - mirrorless cams do not provide us with better technical image quality. It's simply a different ways and means to an end - the photograph. I suppose there will soon come a day when toting around my D200 and D300 bodies will be a burden....Oh well.

Real Name
Randy
everything dies but so far the D5 is alone at the top with few contenders. For what I shoot I need great 'high ISO', great AF, fast, rugged, big 'fit in my hand' body.....even the D850 is pitiful by comparison and the D500 is almost a door stop. OK maybe I'm too harsh but I got my new iPhone if I want a good little camera:)

I like to look at the emergence of the new categories that are creating new uses such as:
-action camera (Go pro), including helmet mounted cameras for cyclists
-dashboard cameras
-drone cameras
-astrophotography/astronomy cameras (such as ZWO ASI294MC Pro)
-mobile phones with multiple lenses (and probably multiple sensors soon) and superior processing power, could integration, security (can be debated), personalisation...

Some of these are competing with the traditional DSLR concept, some stand on their own.
It might well be that DSLRs become niche too.

In the long run, the answer is "yes".

All one has to do is look at where Fuji is with APS-C mirrorless and where Sony is with Full Frame mirrorless.
Now Canon & Nikon have fully entered the arena.

I agree with Morty in that at some point, just like Film Bodies, the DSLR will become a niche.

Mirrorless technology is still young.

Last summer I bought a Sony RX10 M4 (mirrorless) camera with the idea that it would be particularly useful at the beach, where I was headed, since it did not have interchangeable lens capability and came equipped with a 24-600mm (equivalent) lens. I wondered about how effective the 1" sensor would be and figured, well, this would still be better than a P&S for my particular intended purposes. I was already familiar with mirrorless cameras as I had been using the Sony NEX 7 for some time and really liked some of the features available, including Peaking Focus and actual accurate information in the VF at the time of shooting. This camera, being much newer than the NEX-7, obviously has a few more bells and whistles on it, too..... I took the camera to the beach, had a lot of fun with it, didn't have to worry about sand getting into the camera while changing lenses, etc., and also greatly appreciated the features that this mirrorless camera offered over both my Nikon DSLRs and the Sony NEX-7. Came home with some decent shots which really, really pleased me....

That was several months ago and I am finding that I am reaching for that Sony RX10 M4 time and time again and that I haven't touched my Nikons in months.... To me it is pretty clear: My next camera is not going to be a DSLR; it's going to be another mirrorless, and probably the Sony A7R III. with a complementary FF lens or two.....

I seriously considered getting a mirrorless body a few weeks ago, but ultimately decided not to do it. The smaller size isn't smaller enough to matter to me, and fast glass is probably never doing to be physically small. I don't really like using electronic viewfinders, and rarely even use Live View.

Last summer I bought a Sony RX10 M4 (mirrorless) camera with the idea that it would be particularly useful at the beach, where I was headed, since it did not have interchangeable lens capability and came equipped with a 24-600mm (equivalent) lens. I wondered about how effective the 1" sensor would be and figured, well, this would still be better than a P&S for my particular intended purposes. I was already familiar with mirrorless cameras as I had been using the Sony NEX 7 for some time and really liked some of the features available, including Peaking Focus and actual accurate information in the VF at the time of shooting. This camera, being much newer than the NEX-7, obviously has a few more bells and whistles on it, too..... I took the camera to the beach, had a lot of fun with it, didn't have to worry about sand getting into the camera while changing lenses, etc., and also greatly appreciated the features that this mirrorless camera offered over both my Nikon DSLRs and the Sony NEX-7. Came home with some decent shots which really, really pleased me....

That was several months ago and I am finding that I am reaching for that Sony RX10 M4 time and time again and that I haven't touched my Nikons in months.... To me it is pretty clear: My next camera is not going to be a DSLR; it's going to be another mirrorless, and probably the Sony A7R III. with a complementary FF lens or two.....
Technically, when people say "mirrorless" cameras they are referring to an interchangeable lens camera. The RX10 is an advanced point-and-shoot.

Nevertheless, your point is relevant. It makes me think about what the technology developed by Marc Levoy and his Google team (discussed in the video posted by Armin above) could do in a P&S camera like your RX10. Could be quite impressive.

Technically, when people say "mirrorless" cameras they are referring to an interchangeable lens camera. The RX10 is an advanced point-and-shoot.

Nevertheless, your point is relevant. It makes me think about what the technology developed by Marc Levoy and his Google team (discussed in the video posted by Armin above) could do in a P&S camera like your RX10. Could be quite impressive.
Yes, look what smart phone cameras are doing now compared to ten years ago...

I still like DSLRs even though I'm a heavy mirrorless shooter now. There's just some aspects where I prefer DSLRs, mainly for flash photography and when shooting for extended periods of time. I like still having the option to use both.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom