The DSLR will probably die...

The biggest drawback to me for the mirrorless is the OVF in low light situations. When we were on vacation in Utah back in September, some of the shots I could get with the optical view finder on the Nikon, I was not able to get using the Leica. Outside of that, I like the mirrorless. Until the electronic view finders improve dramatically, I see the DSLRs being with us.

Impressive; but can it still be called photography? After all a photograph is light captured onto a medium like film/sensor.

When does a photograph cease being a photograph? Is a composite image still a photograph?

A movie is still a movie despite all the special effects and computer generated imagery; however, the special effects are called out as such. i.e. Blade Runner is considered the last film to deploy traditional in-camera special effects without the use of computer generated special effects.

Here's a good video by Jamie Windsor that sort of poses the question...

Thanks to Andrew's ongoing review and his report on and clarification of how to use auto area AF face detection, I will be using that mode tomorrow at the grandkids' school Christmas party. I'll be using the Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G with the adapter since the event is in a classroom with only one window. The "kit" 24-70 is a very good lens but a couple of stops of light will be important. Should be a good test of the auto ISO implementation too.

Thanks to Andrew's ongoing review and his report on and clarification of how to use auto area AF face detection, I will be using that mode tomorrow at the grandkids' school Christmas party. I'll be using the Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G with the adapter since the event is in a classroom with only one window. The "kit" 24-70 is a very good lens but a couple of stops of light will be important. Should be a good test of the auto ISO implementation too.
Looking forward to your report, Doug.

Imperfect day for my first test. Twins were home sick (mom referred to them as puky and cranky) but the oldest grandson was in school so I took a few pictures of his class having their party. Also took some pictures of the kindergarten party even without our grandkids there for the teacher and other parents. I'll post some detailed thoughts over in Andrew's review thread since that's where it belongs.

Impressive; but can it still be called photography? After all a photograph is light captured onto a medium like film/sensor.

When does a photograph cease being a photograph? Is a composite image still a photograph?

A movie is still a movie despite all the special effects and computer generated imagery; however, the special effects are called out as such. i.e. Blade Runner is considered the last film to deploy traditional in-camera special effects without the use of computer generated special effects.

Here's a good video by Jamie Windsor that sort of poses the question...

Yup, I agree. When does painting with light end and painting with ???? start?

I am definitely all mirrorless -- both with that lovely RX10 M4 fixed lens camera that I bought in the summer of 2018 and with my wonderful, fantastic A7R IV mirrorless ILC (interchangeable lens camera) that I bought in November of 2019. There is no way I would ever consider going back to DSLR now. Each of those cameras has its strengths and weaknesses, and each definitely has its own role to play in my photographic life.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom