The DSLR will probably die...

If Nikon had introduced a DX mirrorless with all the advantages of the Z6/Z7 and a sensor with performance equivalent to the D7200 I would probably be changing now.

I'm of a similar mindset. My D7000 does everything I would regularly use except that I would like to have the focus stacking that's built into the D850. If I remember correctly, neither the Z6 nor the Z7 have that capability. Even if they do, I would prefer to wait until my D7000 dies to make the switch. I hope Nikon releases a DX camera in the Z series before my camera dies.

...would like to have the focus stacking that's built into the D850. If I remember correctly, neither the Z6 nor the Z7 have that capability. Even if they do, I would prefer to wait until my D7000 dies to make the switch. I hope Nikon releases a DX camera in the Z series before my camera dies.

Yes, they do include that...at least the Z6 does. One of the attractions for me.

Jim, thanks for posting this. I found the links in “The Computational Photographer” very interesting.
Halide talk

The thesis on Halide is a great read. Lots more to read too.

I had not heard of Halide. That thesis is above my level of understanding, however, as I am not a computer scientist. My programming knowledge is still stuck in the past with FORTRAN. Nevertheless, Halide appears to be a good next step in computational photography. The fact that its creator now works for Google tells you where it is finding its first real applications. Ever heard of Pixel 3?

Last edited:
I had not heard of Halide. That thesis is above my level of understanding, however, as I am not a computer scientist. My programming knowledge is still stuck in the past with FORTRAN. Nevertheless, that language appears to be a good next step in computational photography. The fact that its creator now works for Google tells you where it is finding its first real applications. Ever heard of Pixel 3?
My wife has the Pixel 3, I'm still stuck with a Pixel 2. Google appears to be rolling out all the photo stuff in the 3 to the 2, I doubt I'll upgrade right away. These phones are getting pricey. Our son works at Google, I have no idea what he does beyond VR, he's not supposed to talk about what they do. I do believe he's done some work on the camera in the phones - I rang him up one day with a question about what it was doing and he said "funny you asked, I was just debugging that code"

Real Name
Bill Mellen
I picked up a Z6 and played with it at Best Buy. Bought it with 24-70 f/4 S lens and FTZ adapter. Ordered the 50 f/1.8 S today and have no regrets.

BTW: If you do not have a Best Buy credit card, they will give you 10% off on your first purchase if you get one. So I suggest that if you can, buy the new TV and Fridge at the same time :)

In the long run, the answer is "yes".

All one has to do is look at where Fuji is with APS-C mirrorless and where Sony is with Full Frame mirrorless.
Now Canon & Nikon have fully entered the arena.

I agree with Morty in that at some point, just like Film Bodies, the DSLR will become a niche.

Mirrorless technology is still young.

Indeed. I left the Nikon family shortly after the Df was released, being among the many who was certain that was going to be a mirrorless body. I went (reluctantly) to Fuji, foolishly going all in. I’m waiting on my Z6 now and a compliment of lenses. Expensive lesson learned.

Fuji offers some good stuff, but lens quality aside, Nikon still dominates in terms of focus accuracy. To the point that the Fuji bodies regularly hold me back. Disclaimer - I haven’t used the X-TH or X-T3, and I understand they’re significantly better than the X-T2. I simply can’t justify pouring more money into a system that I simply haven’t warmed up to over a period of three or four years.

Back home to Nikon. This time, mirrorless.

Plus, I really missed you guys!

Real Name
Doug
I picked up a Z6 and played with it at Best Buy. Bought it with 24-70 f/4 S lens and FTZ adapter. Ordered the 50 f/1.8 S today and have no regrets.

BTW: If you do not have a Best Buy credit card, they will give you 10% off on your first purchase if you get one. So I suggest that if you can, buy the new TV and Fridge at the same time :)
I weakened and caved too. I got the same kit from our only remaining B&M camera store. The tossed in some freebie "sweeteners" which is my excuse for giving in to NAS.

The grandkids are doing a sleepover tonight and there is a Christmas party at the twins' school on Wednesday which will give me some good opportunities for direct comparison between the D750 and the Z6 in low light. I plan to use the same lens (Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G) to make the comparison more useful.

For now I have no plans to sell any gear to "make room" for the Z6 et. al. Every time I've sold gear as a "balance" to something new I've regretted it. Best to give it a year and reevaluate then.

I weakened and caved too. I got the same kit from our only remaining B&M camera store. The tossed in some freebie "sweeteners" which is my excuse for giving in to NAS.

The grandkids are doing a sleepover tonight and there is a Christmas party at the twins' school on Wednesday which will give me some good opportunities for direct comparison between the D750 and the Z6 in low light. I plan to use the same lens (Nikon 28mm f/1.8 G) to make the comparison more useful.

For now I have no plans to sell any gear to "make room" for the Z6 et. al. Every time I've sold gear as a "balance" to something new I've regretted it. Best to give it a year and reevaluate then.

I'm looking forward to your report, Doug.

Last edited:
I think the technology is getting ahead of itself and destroying an art form. I've seen the shallow depth of field photos from phone cameras; and it's easy to detect it's not real optics at play as there is clearly tell signs of computational manipulation. I not a fan of false photoshopped backgrounds either used in school portraits; unfortunately that is what is being done today and it looks fake and unprofessional.

I think the DSLR will be around for a long time to come. The optical viewfinder will certainly maintain a niche market just out of preference and/or use case. Mirrorless will continue to grow in market share and slowly replace the DSLR.

Computational photography will probably cause people to rediscover film photography.

I think the technology is getting ahead of itself and destroying an art form. I've seen the shallow depth of field photos from phone cameras; and it's easy to detect it's not real optics at play as there is clearly tell signs of computational manipulation. I not a fan of false photoshopped backgrounds either used in school portraits; unfortunately that is what is being done today and it looks fake and unprofessional.

I think the DSLR will be around for a long time to come. The optical viewfinder will certainly maintain a niche market just out of preference and/or use case. Mirrorless will continue to grow in market share and slowly replace the DSLR.

Computational photography will probably cause people to rediscover film photography.

Well put! I love the term "Computational photography"; it's well beyond "fix it in photoshop!"

Well put! I love the term "Computational photography"; it's well beyond "fix it in photoshop!"

Computational photography is a serious discipline, as the original link in this thread shows. Like it or not, that is where photography is headed. Sure, there are aspects that may not look attractive and will offend the eye of the traditionalist. But what are traditionalists? Those who are nostalgic for the artifacts of film photography! ;)

There was a similar reaction against film photography in its earlier days. See Pictorialism.

Last edited:
Thinking about the past 10 years or so, it baffles me that so many fine camera companies are still at it. Seems the companies/models have multiplied greatly even though the market has been squashed by smart phones over the same time period.
I do love the used bargains on bodies and lenses that are only getting better by the day.

Computational photography is a serious discipline, as the original link in this thread shows. Like it or not, that is where photography is headed. Sure there are aspects that may not look attractive and will offend the eye of the traditionalist. But what are traditionalists? Those who are nostalgic for the artifacts of film photography! ;)

There was a similar reaction against film photography in its earlier days. See Pictorialism.
I know, just feeling particularly cantankerous today! I'm aware science has been behind and in the middle of my art for, well for ever!

I would also like to see those images also!

Latest threads

Top Bottom