The Eagles are back

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Flew, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    I went over to the dam last Saturday to shoot the GBH's again. Just about as soon as I got there, I checked the 'Eagle Tree' across the Tennessee river from where I normally shoot. To my great excitement, both Eagles were in the tree.

Now I was about 1/2 mile from the Eagles and the tree, but it is a 25 mile drive to get there. I loaded my gear up and headed out. By the time that I got there, one had left, but the other was still there. The light was bad, so these were not shot under the best conditions, but hey, they are the first Eagle shots of the fall. :smile:

On the nest. It is amazing how much bigger the female (on the right) is than the male.
    [​IMG]

Posing:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The glare:
    [​IMG]

With luck, there will be more. :smile:

Thanks for looking in.

2. How exciting!! Nice job on these, Frank! Still waiting for the Viera Eagles to cooperate like this.

3. You must be thrilled a whole fall of shooting thes guys great job on these even with bad light

4. All that complaining that us Floridians get all the birds...

Sandbagger!

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great, Fantastic, Wonderful, all of those words twice!!

I so want to capture some of my own, but I am so happy to view yours
    :biggrin:

Exquisite birds wonderfully captured .......... keepem coming !!

6. Very exciting! I am fascinated by these birds. Saw one last saturday behind my house but it saw me first. I rarely see tem around here.
    Dave

7. Fascinating bird, great shots Frank.

8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Nice shots Frank. It's gotta be a rush to photograph them in the wild.

9. Love those eagles Frank. I too was lucky to see some on Sunday. We should have lots of them around here as well for the winter.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    WoooHooo for Flewwww

Thats great ...

Looking good. Nice shots.

11. Very nice, Frank. Congratulations on the return of your friends!

Nice captures, too. Hard to balance getting the white detail while minimizing the noise in the dark feathers, but you had some nice even light (it appears) which combined with your skill and equipment made it all work!

Maybe you can get some pics of their cousins down in Florida for Merritt III? :smile:

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Nice shots! The typical female raptor is 30-40% larger than the male. Too bad you have to drive so far, maybe a longer lens????

13. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Thanks guys and gals for the nice comments. I'm truly not pleased with these, primarily because of the noise in the dark areas that David mentioned, and the lack of detail caused by using the 2.0 TC on the 300 2.8. Bay is right, I need longer glass. :eek:

One thing that I have learned here though that I think will help, at least on the noise part, is that I should have been shooting at a slower shutter speed, like Phillip did on the series he posted yesterday. I think I shot these at around 1/500 to 1/640. At 1/250 or so, I could have closed down the aperture for more DOF, and shot at ISO 200. Still doesn't help the need for longer glass though. :rolleyes:

Will LLD ever cease?!?? :confused:

14. Indeed! Gale called him on it the other day. Women's intuition, perhaps? I think you should change your handle from "Flew" to "Sandbagger"! :Angel:

15. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very nice images, Frank. You did well capturing images of such a majestic bird. Can't wait to see more!

16. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Great shots......#2 ought to be on a 37ยข stamp!

17. Noble birds Frank and you have brought out the best. Very nice.

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Pretty good shots Frank. Those northern eagles seem a bit smaller than our Southern eagles down here. :wink:

Seriously it must ahve been a thrill to capture those beauties.

19. bfjr

bfjr Guest

I like that idea and will try myself. In fact I think I did that by accident on one of my wood duck shots and work fine. The reason I remember is I was surprised to see a very low shuttter speed but the overall shot was clean and sharp.

The short answer, NO!!! :Shocked: :biggrin: :biggrin:

20. I'm stoked for you Flewy, I never tire seeing Baldies.

Your images are awesome, you nailed the exposure and they are sharp per your usual...

My only critique (I suffer so badly from WB issues) is the color of the sky is different in each shot...maybe white balance differences??