The Easter Eagle

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great shots Gary. I need to find out where your secret spots are.:biggrin:
Thanks Chris Happy Easter

Then it wouldn't be a secret would it.

Wonderful captures, Gary.
Thank You Frank

I was trying to get Wade his passing shot with the low light under the wing but got these instead. I'll get that shot one day!!!!

Hey Gary,

I have two questions for you:

1. What f/stop are you using?

2. What exposure compensation? (assuming you are shooting in AV mode and applying compensation)

Your images of these birds are very enjoyable and I hope you keep posting them.

Hey Gary,

I have two questions for you:

1. What f/stop are you using?

2. What exposure compensation? (assuming you are shooting in AV mode and applying compensation)

Your images of these birds are very enjoyable and I hope you keep posting them.
Thanks Andy

The EXIF are attached to the pictures

These 3 were taken at:

ISO 400
Av f8
At 1/1000 to 1/1250
Exp -1/3

I've a little saying, "Focus on the eye and f8 for the tail"

I keep a high Shutter speed in case of a flying shot

I've taken shots at ISO 200 and don't really see much improvement

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Gary.

I suspected minus 1/3 was the comp. When you feel like playing around one day back off to minus 2/3 stop in this situation and see where it puts you on the whites. On every Canon body I have owned minus 1/3 was considered the equivalent of zero so minus 2/3 is really minus 1/3. This is only true for sunny conditions though. Give it a shot and let me know what you find out. I know there are differences in individual bodies so I'm curious what yours does.

Thanks Gary.

I suspected minus 1/3 was the comp. When you feel like playing around one day back off to minus 2/3 stop in this situation and see where it puts you on the whites. On every Canon body I have owned minus 1/3 was considered the equivalent of zero so minus 2/3 is really minus 1/3. This is only true for sunny conditions though. Give it a shot and let me know what you find out. I know there are differences in individual bodies so I'm curious what yours does.

I've shot at -1.0 on Bright days with good results. I've started using histogram to set exposure. I try on my 20D to keep whites at about 3/4 scale I can shoot at 1/2 scale if I'm closer but they get noisy if even a small crop.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom