The Eiger, Mt. Blanc

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by SteveK, Apr 6, 2007.

1. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    In the summer of 2000, we went to Switzerland, and spent about a week taking hot air balloon trips over the Alps, based out of Chateau d'Oex. We made several pre-dawn launches, getting up to altitude just in time for sunrise. This shot shows Grummfluh Mountain (near Chateau d'Oex) in the foreground and Mount Blanc in center background.

[​IMG]

We went to the Jungfrau region for another week to see some of the more famous peaks. Here's the Eiger at sunset.

[​IMG]

2. Wonderful views, Steve. Thanks for sharing.

3. Great logistical idea and another climbing destination - you're making Friday at the office longer than ever! I'm assuming the balloon flight was a writeoff? Has the IRS ever raised an eyebrow about your varied expenses?

4. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Yes, all expenses incurred in taking photos are a business write-off. Since it's my full time business, and I do make a nice profit, they have never questioned any of the expenses I write off. The only time I was questioned about expenses came from a magazine. I was shooting in Greece on assignment, and my normal daily living expenses were very low. A man there helped me considerably, so I took him and his wife to the best restaurant in the small town, and had a lobster feast. The magazine questioned how I reported most days as being less than $25/day (including a house I rented), but that one dinner was $80. When I explained the situation, they were OK with the bill.

5. PAReams

PAReams

Apr 4, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    Wow! Those are beautiful. The peaks rising through the clouds in the first photo is beautiful. Impossible shot to get without the balloon, right?

6. SteveK

SteveK

Mar 16, 2005
    Alaska
    Well, you could shoot it from an airplane or helicopter, but yes you are correct, there would be no way to have this perspective other than being up in the air.

7. Steve these are absolutely gorgeous and well taken shots. I can only imagine being up in a baloon in this beautiful country.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I think being up in a balloon shooting would be just a thrill.
    I am a big chicken and really don't even like to fly. Funny though. I do like ballons. Been up once. Ohh how peaceful.

Beautiful images Steve.

9. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    That first one is just powerful. I've been trying to imagine what it felt like to be there at just that time.