The eyes are the key...

Discussion in 'People' started by Uncle Frank, Aug 14, 2005.

1. The guidelines state that the eyes are the key to a good portrait, but in this contemplative shot, only the eyelids are visible.

Taken at 1/15s f/6.3 iso400 with the Nikkor 60/2.8 prime.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. This is one of those shots that make you think. What is she contemplating, what is the string around her neck holding, why does she have a hat on, is she a coach???? I like the shot and you have just the right amount of detail in her face to make it interesting.

4. My guess is that she's reading a book or card and the story reflects on her face. I agree with you Frank that eyes are normally a must in portrait photography, but like with many rules, there are bound to be some exceptions! ;-)

5. Thanks, Paul and Philippe. The model, Rosemarie, is one of a group of my friends who meet for coffee on Saturdays after our workouts at the gym. She's a very animated person, and had just finished talking non-stop for 15 minutes. I think she was just pausing to get her second wind.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ah, but even partially closed, they are still key. It is, the closed looking eyes that make this photo carry so much mystery. I really like the way the highlights play off the (her) right side of her face. And she's a pretty girl too. ;)

ps, nice work with the 60.