The eyes have it

Discussion in 'People' started by sfoxjohn, Dec 1, 2005.

1. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    I very seldom shoot portraits. Most of my people pictures are just family shots. But we were on vacation in West Virginia in October and the lady who owns a small gift shop asked me to take a picture of this young lady in two of the scarves that they sell. The girl, who helps her out some is 12 yrs. old and was happy to pose, so I accomodated them.

Taken with the Nikon 80-200 on the porch of the store (hence the poor background).

Comments appreciated. I already like the pictures myself, so be critical. In fact I just noticed in the preview that her face is a little too pink in the second one - at least on my screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Don't make any adjustments because on my adjusted not caliberated screen, her skin tone is perfect.

3. The young lady is beautiful and her eyes mesmerizing. If you could do some work on the background it would improve the image. Also, the first image is much better than the second as far as poses go. I would be tempted to take her out of the background and put her in a more pleasing image. The light side of image #1 definitely needs to be fixed.

4. The first photo is really nice of pose. But the left side of the background is so distracting. The second photo is nicely done but the first is more appealing.

Beautifull girl, shining eyes and the skin colour looks perfect on my screen.

5. Lovely portraits John. I have not much to add really to the previous comments other then #2 seems overexposed to me. Just allow me an observation though: These shots once again confirm what an outstanding lens the 80-200 is. I use it regularly for portraits and it always produces drop-dead gorgeous results: as sharp as it gets, great colors, contrast and very acceptable bokeh.

6. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Caleb, thanks for looking.

7. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Gordon, I agree with every point. The light side resulted from my failure to notice that the left half of the picture did not have the porch as background. I think I will provide a completely different background.

Regards

8. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Vince.

I agree that the pose in number 2 not nearly as good as in the first. See my reply to Gordon about the hot side.

Regards

9. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thanks Frits.

Funny thing is that when I previewed them the second one looked too dark, so I lightened it. LOL

Yes, the 80-200 is sharp (and heavy) I really wanted to get the 70-200 VR, but at half the price ...

Regards

10. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Here is the first one with a new background.

[​IMG]

I think this really concentrates all attention on the young lady.

11. A big thumbs up for the change to this photo. It is outstanding.

12. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Thank you Gordon.

Regards.