The F100 does the Penn State & Boalsburg Arts Festivals (LOTS of photos)

So two weekends ago we headed up from the DC area to Penn State both to raid the world famous Penn State Creamery for ice cream and iced tea and other goodies, but also for the TWO arts fairs. There's both the well known Penn State Arts Festival, but also the Boalsburg one so we checked that out too. I shot five rolls of film. Two Kodak Portra 160VC, two Fuji Superia 400, and one Fuji Superia Reala 100. This was not really a photography oriented trip. Mainly I was just taking snap shots and documenting the trip a bit along with trying different types of film in different situations to see how they'd look. I had my D40 and 17-55/2.8 along with me, but ended up only using the F100. On the F100 I shot with either the 28-105, or the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 which works at 15-16mm on film. If it looks like a super-wide shot it's the 11-16, but otherwise it's with the 28-105. I'll update the thread later with which film was being used for each small set, but in the meantime have fun guessing if you want.

So on to the photos. :smile:

The Boalsburg People's Choice arts festival is held on the grounds of the Boalsburg military museum. I've driven by this place probably a hundred times mostly when I was still at Penn State and have always wanted to stop by and check it out, but never had a chance until now.

They've got an M60 tank parked up at the main building
74670037-vi.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

74670035-vi.jpg

(I think the scan must have clipped a bit because I definitely had the whole tank in the finder here, gotta check the negs)
74670033-vi.jpg

An old captured gun
74670032-vi.jpg

The local WWII memorial
74670031-vi.jpg

And they have a WWII era M4 Sherman tank parked in the woods out front too.
74670025-vi.jpg

named "Abagail" :smile:
74670023-vi.jpg

74670021-vi.jpg

74670018-vi.jpg

And then lastly a 150mm (?) towed Howitzer
74670017-vi.jpg

74670015-vi.jpg

Some shots from the Boalsburg People's Choice Arts Festival

74650019-vi.jpg

74650024-vi.jpg

74650026-vi.jpg

my wife with a fried oreo
74650028-vi.jpg

Our parents met us up there who live in southeast PA. Grandma aka "mimi" gives our daughter a warm welcome
74650035-vi.jpg

74650034-vi.jpg

74650036-vi.jpg

And grandpa aka "GP" too
74670003-vi.jpg

Later we hit up the Penn State fair.

University gates
74660022-vi.jpg

College Ave & Allen Street
74660025-vi.jpg

Old Main
74660029-vi.jpg

An Elm
74660031-vi.jpg

74660032-vi.jpg

74660033-vi.jpg

great strudels!
74650011-vi.jpg

live band
74650010-vi.jpg

74650001-vi.jpg

74650002-vi.jpg

my daughter passed out in her stroller
74650007-vi.jpg

After all of that excitement we caught an early dinner at the Allen Street Grill and then hung out for a little bit and headed off to our hotel since our daughter was pooped and wasn't feeling all that great either - being out in the heat all day = not the greatest.

The next morning on Sunday we got up bright and early to go to The Waffle Shop right outside of town, our favorite hang out!

74660010-vi.jpg

some floral shots, just trying to burn up my slow speed film before going inside where it'd be useless

74660002-vi.jpg

74660005-vi.jpg

74660006-vi.jpg

74660007-vi.jpg

74660008-vi.jpg

None of the photos from inside were really worth posting unfortunately. All three of us were hungry and our daughter was a little cranky, so I didn't really have much opportunity to pickup the camera. :wink:

After breakfast we went back on campus to walk around a little bit. It's always neat to see what's changed since the last time we've been there, and we usually head up to PSU at least twice per year. Usually they've turned a field into a building, but this time they turned a building into a field!! OMG, they DEMOLISHED the "old" Creamery and made a grassy area out of it. :eek: I'm shocked that they did this and didn't make it into a museum of some sort. President Clinton came to Penn State right here just to try out the world famous Penn State Creamery ice cream, and now it's gone!

74640001-vi.jpg

it used to be "right here" :frown:
74640004-vi.jpg

and this was the path leading up to it from East Halls
74640005-vi.jpg

Man that was a shocker. But the "new" Creamery (as of about 2006) is way better and bigger too!

74660020-vi.jpg

74630011-vi.jpg

74630010-vi.jpg

74630009-vi.jpg

74630008-vi.jpg

Then finally on the way home after loading up on Creamery goodies, both of my girls in the back passed out. Fired completely blindly with the Tokina 11-16 at 16mm and f/2.8 or f/4, Fuji 400.

74630007-vi.jpg

So all in all it was a fun trip. We came home with a half freezer full of ice cream, and a half fridge full of regular and green tea iced tea, and actually didn't buy anything at any of the arts festivals, but had fun walking around at them anyways. :biggrin: I think my notes on film usage was generally along the lines of not particularly caring for Fuji Superia 400 for skin tones and liking Reala 100, Portra 160NC/VC (or 400NC) better for that, but I did like Portra 160VC for scenic type photos. I still think I like the Fuji Superia Reala 100 better though. Next time with a lot of mixed shooting, I'll just stick with a more neutral type of film that doesn't oversaturate faces. At least from 6MP Costco scans, it's easier and looks a lot better if you crank up the saturation a bit on a more neutral photo than try to desaturate and overcranked one.

I'm still greatly enjoying film. :cool: I slow down, shoot less, think about composition more, take less junk, and do NOT have to constantly worry about blowing highlights and other digital nuances. The processing is all done at Costco, not nearly as much post work is needed (read none), and since I'm shooting less but still getting all the photos I want, sorting is no longer a nightmare either. Less information overload, and I like the end quality of the film shots better with the much larger dynamic range. :cool:

Nice shots Steve, too bad I didn't see you out there. Yeah, the creamery is kind of new. Taste about the same though! But I can't tell one ice-cream for another, since I don't eat it much.

Looks like you enjoyed it out here though, very familiar grounds to me but only for about 2 more months.

Looks like another huge crop of keepers Steve!

My favorite has got to be the fried Oreo though. Whew - just when I thought it was safe to eat out! :eek:
:biggrin:

74650033-vi.jpg

I'm glad we found some of these at the fair, because otherwise we were seriously considering flying out to go to the Minnesota State Fair again! Oh man, if you go to a great fair like that in the midwest and have even the slightest interest in good food, you either need to drop 10 pounds before you go, or bring some "fat pants"! :biggrin: The fried oreos were great, but not quite as good as in the midwest. Satisfied the craving though, LOL!

Nice shots Steve, too bad I didn't see you out there. Yeah, the creamery is kind of new. Taste about the same though! But I can't tell one ice-cream for another, since I don't eat it much.

Looks like you enjoyed it out here though, very familiar grounds to me but only for about 2 more months.
Thanks Linda! Ah so you're moving? Where too? I had my eye out for you too. Didn't see you, but I did run into an old professor of mine!

Creamery ice cream is gooooooood. I'm certainly far from a food connoisseur, but it's seriously the best my wife and I have ever had. Whatever other store brand we've tried just hasn't measured up, which is why we have to keep going back up to bring some home. :tongue: Just an example. Most of the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream out there uses a regular vanilla ice cream base and then just throws random bits of cookie dough and chocolate chips in there and mixes it up. PSU takes it to the next level. They actually have cookie dough blended into the ice cream base itself, along with individual dough chunks and chocolate chips on top of that. So every bite no matter if you get a chunk of something or not tastes like cookie dough. Oh man, I'm getting a craving for some more of it just thinking about it. :biggrin:

:biggrin:

I'm glad we found some of these at the fair, because otherwise we were seriously considering flying out to go to the Minnesota State Fair again! Oh man, if you go to a great fair like that in the midwest and have even the slightest interest in good food, you either need to drop 10 pounds before you go, or bring some "fat pants"! :biggrin: The fried oreos were great, but not quites as good as in the midwest. Satisfied the craving though, LOL!
Man, these are enough to put me into insulin shock! Interesting set of shots by the way - my daughter will be transferring to Penn State soon. Her husband works there and although she's been accepted at Temple she can save a chunk of money by going to Penn.

Looks like you had a great time!

74650033-vi.jpg

That looks yummy! However, would you mind to explain to an "old European" what a "fried oreo" is? A quick search for oreo turned up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo - which looks somewhat different? (But then, there are those fish and chips shops in Great Britain that serve fried Mars bars... might there be the same principle at work here?)

That looks yummy! However, would you mind to explain to an "old European" what a "fried oreo" is? A quick search for oreo turned up this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oreo - which looks somewhat different? (But then, there are those fish and chips shops in Great Britain that serve fried Mars bars... might there be the same principle at work here?)

Ah, I found it in the small print on that page: "Deep-Fried Oreo- Regular or Double Stuf Oreos, dipped in a batter, and deep fried for about 30 seconds. They are sometimes sold at carnivals and fairs."

Well, the real art of cooking is to transmigrate seemingly ordinary ingredients into something more tasty as a total.

Real Name
Chris
... Well, the real art of cooking is to transmigrate seemingly ordinary ingredients into something more tasty as a total.

The art of frying anything is an American tradition. Pretty much it's gross though (which isn't to say, it's not delicious, but gross none-the-less!)

Great work Steve, I can see that you've clearly fallen in love with your F100 and film shooting in general. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

Thanks Linda! Ah so you're moving? Where too? I had my eye out for you too. Didn't see you, but I did run into an old professor of mine!

Creamery ice cream is gooooooood. I'm certainly far from a food connoisseur, but it's seriously the best my wife and I have ever had. Whatever other store brand we've tried just hasn't measured up, which is why we have to keep going back up to bring some home. :tongue: Just an example. Most of the chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream out there uses a regular vanilla ice cream base and then just throws random bits of cookie dough and chocolate chips in there and mixes it up. PSU takes it to the next level. They actually have cookie dough blended into the ice cream base itself, along with individual dough chunks and chocolate chips on top of that. So every bite no matter if you get a chunk of something or not tastes like cookie dough. Oh man, I'm getting a craving for some more of it just thinking about it. :biggrin:

I'm moving to the coast of N.C!

lol... seems like you know your ice-cream. I think I eat ice-cream twice a year.

I just had to say how much I enjoyed your fabulous pics! I know this is an older thread - but they made my day! I have been stuck in the house too long. Anyway- I just bought Gordon's F100 and am awaiting it with great anticipation! Do you happen to remember what film you used with the flowers? They are amazing!!!!! thanks for sharing! Lisa
PS- your daughter is adorable!

LOL! I thought there was a lot of green for 'two weekends ago'...:biggrin: I enjoyed it too. After a week of rain, which we desperately need so I'm not complaining, colors look pretty appealing.

D

Deleted member 960

Good gawd, simply awesome results with the F100. The tank and howitzer certainly
looked excited to see you. lol So many great images, tough to pic a fave, but the
one of your wife eating the fried oreo is at the top as previously mentioned. Love the
flower shots, too, thanks for sharing!

Wow I haven't stopped by this sub-forum in ages so was surprised to see one of my few threads bumped. :tongue:

I just had to say how much I enjoyed your fabulous pics! I know this is an older thread - but they made my day! I have been stuck in the house too long. Anyway- I just bought Gordon's F100 and am awaiting it with great anticipation! Do you happen to remember what film you used with the flowers? They are amazing!!!!! thanks for sharing! Lisa
PS- your daughter is adorable!
Thanks Lisa! For the flower shots I'm 90% sure it was Fuji Superia Reala 100. I remember needing to burn that off before we went inside the restaurant where 100 speed film would have been way too slow, and I don't think it was Kodak Portra 160 NC or VC in there, so most likely Fuji. I'll double check this weekend since I need to go through my film stash anyways.

BTW, I've always felt there was something a little bit "wrong" with these photos but couldn't quite put my finger on it. I was reading through some of Ken Rockwell's recent film adventures and noticed he almost always had an 81A or other warming filter on. Ah-HA! That's it! I was shooting with no filter and that was probably giving them too cool of a look. I'll have to remember to keep a warming filter handy for outdoor film stuff from now on, or just batch them all in digital post through DxO. :wink:

Latest threads

Top Bottom