The Falcon Was Back!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by bobhoge, Feb 11, 2005.

1. The Peregrine Falcon that I posted earlier was back this morning. I heard him make a couple of passes at the North side of the building, but our view is to the South. Finally he popped out over the top for a few seconds. I was able to get off three quick shots before he went back North and out of view. One terrible, two poor?

These are not good shots. D-100, 1/1000sec. 500mm F8 full manual lens.
    Not too bad for $0.12 per mm! About 1/4 frame crop.

15694654-M.

The side of the building is causing the dark shading on the right.
    15694703-M.

Hope to get another try, but he is not by too often. I'll go back to the 70-300ED next time.

Bob

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Bob, these do look better than the last ones, but I note that they are still somewhat blurred, and have some visible noise.

To get just about any bird in flight, you need a fast lens, and I mean that in terms of both AF performance as well as light gathering capabilities. Neither of the lenses that you have shot this guy (gal) with meet this critieria, so to be honest, you have done very well with what you had to work with. I can't imagine trying to get a bird as fast as a falcon with your set-up.... 8)

The best recommendation that I can give you is to see if you can buy, rent or borrow a 300mm f4 lens like Harris has, or maybe even a 70-200VR with or without the 1.4 TC. This would give you an f2.8 to f4 lens speed, and both have the very fast AF-S focus motor.

To get the best DOF, I would try to shoot them at at least f5.6 although Ron Reznick recommended to me to shoot at f8 until I got more steady with my acquisitions.

Hope that helps, and I hope that you don't get discouraged. Most of us that shoot birdies have taken literally 10,000's of shots, and most haven't even tried on a Peregrine. The secret is persistance.... :D

Regards,

Frank

3. Hi Frank,

Thank you for your encouragement! When we see you next week I will show you the lens I used for these shots today. It will make the results even more amazing.
    How many 500mm lenses in your bag did you pay $59 for? ($0.12 per mm)!
    Bob

4. Is that that russian mf mirror lens?

5. Hi Harris,

It was made in Korea. It has a Kalimar name on it, but it is an F8 MF mirror lens as you suspected. When I bought the D-70, the dealer had it in the used lens case for $59 and I said what the heck lets throw it in.

One wild feature is that it will focus down to 1.7 meters. I'll bring it along next week and you can see it for yourself.

Bob

6. Considering that Peregrines can fly up to 200 mph I'd be happy with even a noisy blurry shot of one in flight ;-)

7. Hi Janet,

I'm not sure if you saw my earlier post:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=49

We have been seeing this (these?) falcon for several years. Once I was standing on the balcony and he flew right by me at very high speed, maybe only 15 feet away. He can really move!!!
    Another time last year I saw him while on the balcony and ran inside for the D-100 as I looked back while trying to remove the lens cap he had landed on our balcony railing. We made eye contact and he immediately took off while I was still holding the lens cap.

The adventure continues, I heard him again this AM.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017