The Famous Dakota Apartments on Central Park West

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Oct 27, 2005.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    The Dakota on Central Park West, perhaps the most legendary apartment building in New York City. The architect Henry Hardenbergh, who also designed the Plaza Hotel and the Western Union Building, designed Dakota. It was built in 1881-1884. At that time the complex was surrounded by open land and shanties, and so far removed from the city that someone remarked, "It might as well be in the Dakota Territory". The name stuck, and now the building is a New York landmark.

Some spooky trivia: :eek:

*John Lennon was murdered at the entrance of this building. He collapse at the concierge's station.

*Roman Polanski's movie, Rosemary's Baby was filmed at the Dakota. It was here where her husband made a pact with the devil.

*The Dakota's 65 apartments have had famous owners ranging from Judy Garland, Leonard Bernstein, Rex Reed (columnist), Paul Simon, Roberta Flack Lauren Bacall and Boris Karloff (whose ghost is rumored to haunt the place)

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

Regards

RFC

2. smera

smera

Aug 11, 2005
    Brasil
    Hi Robert,

Thank you for posting this nice series. These images are really fresh in my mind, since I came back from NY just a few weeks ago. The adornments of the building are really gorgeous and nicely captured. So is your preface, giving the reader a great historic background.

Thank you for sharing.

Regards,

Roberto.

3. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    What a beautiful building. Great shots and thank you for the history.

4. Robert
    So cool I remember making the pilgrimage to visit here shortly after Lennon's murder, it was quite a moving trip for me and my friends. Tanks fro sharing and stirring up some memories from the past.

5. Robert, thanks for sharing these! I really enjoy seeing architectural shots from NYC. Your commentary adds to the experience. Neat how you included the copy from ca1890 for contrast!

6. Robert, I enjoyed your story and your pics.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

7. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    very nice retrospective. thank you Robert

8. Hi Robert, love your images and story of this building. Very interesting to see the list of owners.

9. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Smera, SRA, Mike Mac, Kevin Scott, Beaucamera,Angelo, Greyflash:

Thanks everyone for the comments. I came across a collection of old images of NYC and someday I would like to do a retrospective project of "Then and Now".

Time will tell if this project gets off the ground :smile:

Regards

RFC