The Feeder Bandito casing the joint

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Toby D, Jun 30, 2008.

1. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    It took a long time for the local varmints to figure out there were sunflower seeds to be had in the finch feeder. Now I have a new problem, keeping this guy out.

2625359477_fb81c7216d.

2. J Lynn

J Lynn

May 10, 2008
    South Louisiana
    They're cute varmits :smile:

3. I've finally outfoxed them (the squirrels). I have a shepard's hook type feeder holder. I put two feeders on it. To keep the squirrels off, I liberally grease the pole with Criso shortening. I have to re-grease the pole every couple days but it really works well.

4. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    OMG, I would think THAT would produce some keeper shots. I guess they cannot be discouraged from trying. As some once said, we people only have so much time to devote to the problem. The squirrel has 24 hours a day to work on it and not much of anything better to do.

Have you considered a baffle? I'll be baffling mine after the photo possibilities are wrung out of them.

5. Haven't tried a baffle yet as the Crisco works so well. It is funny to see them leap at the pole and then slide down, LOL!

6. Cute! I have a squirrel proof feeder and it's so darned funny to watch them! They never give up, but never can get to the food! Their weight closes off the feeder holes!

Ya'll gotta take some photos of the squirrel sliding down the greased pole! Talk about funny! That could win one of those AFV spots!

7. 3whiteroses

3whiteroses

May 23, 2008
    Maryland
    How adorable!

8. Hope I am not considered rude for posting my shots in this thread - certainly did not mean to be, but when I looked at the squirrel photo I could not help recalling this series.

538215007_1c3a25bd17_o.

538215009_b28d0eb187_o.

Damn thing together with his buddies cleaned out my feeder in about 6 hrs.

538215011_832f116f65_o.

538215015_c65701285b.

9. Actually, as a birder, I always considered them to be rats with pretty tails. :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.