THE Film Comaprison Thread

for all you long-time film shooters out there... I have been wanting to try different films for a while now, but I don't have great access to a store/experts/etc. What I would LOVE is for us/you to start a film comparison thread... maybe one for B&W and one for color film. I am interested in seeing for myself the differences in grain, contrast, color where applicable, and how these different films handle different situations. Is this possible, or desirable? Those lousy digital shooters have a gazillion comparison threads going... we need one over here, too! :biggrin:

Ok, since I asked for it, and I can edit my own thread, I will go ahead and add links to threads as they pop up. In no particular order here so far: (I will try to re-organize in some semblance of order when I get more time...)
Ektachrome E100VS.
Kodak Profoto XL 100
Kodak Portra 800
Fuji Reala 100
Ektar 100, more here
Kodak Portra 160
Fuji Pro 400h
Fuji Superia 200
Kodak T-Max 100
Ektar 25
Fuji Acros 100, and here
Portra400
Kodak Tri-X 120
B&W Ilford FP4+ 120
Fuji Superia X-tra 400
Kodak Technical Pan
Kodak Panatomic-X
Fuji Sensia 100 ISO Colour Slide

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you Chris... and everyone else who has started a thread. Would it be worthwhile to get those stickied, or maybe combined somehow?

Updated my original post to reflect some recent answers, as well as finding a few old ones. If anyone starts a new post for a film not already posted, you can PM me so I don't miss it. Thanks!

Thanks guys, got them added to the list. SO, how do you want me to maintain the list? By brand alphabetically, or break those up into color/B&W/120, etc???

Shaun, you must be a mind reader, because I was hoping to find a thread with a list of films and examples from them! I think it's also important for the photographer to list what gear was used as well. Just body and glass I guess. Thanks for putting this out there.

Doug

Shaun, you must be a mind reader, because I was hoping to find a thread with a list of films and examples from them! I think it's also important for the photographer to list what gear was used as well. Just body and glass I guess. Thanks for putting this out there.

Doug
Doug, I'm not sure if these old posts are editable by the originators, or even if they remember what they used for the shots, but if so, maybe they can add the info to the posts... I'm just hoping that we can get more examples in those posts now, because some of them have only one or two examples...

Shaun,
with the exception of one Ektachrome stock, you have no other slide films in your list.
I shoot nothing but colour slide (mostly Fuji 100 ISO just because thats what everyone gives me), so if you want a lot of examples of them, let me know and I'll post some.

I'd love to see examples from slides vs negs. (slides are positives, right?) I'd also love a bit of information on the differences between the two and why someone would choose one over the other, the benefits or pitfalls etc...

Anybody have any Fuji Velvia 50?

Doug

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer (Shaun) haha. Most of these film images are not representing the true character of the film, most are poorly scanned with color casts and contrast curves that is not set properly.

I think flickr is your best option for what you are looking for. There are groups for specifically what you are looking for. I'm all for getting a library together, however, making a choice on what film to shoot based on the pool is a flawed process.

Now you guys can rip my head off.

"Now you guys can rip my head off".

Wait for it............Wait for it.......:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Sorry to be the Debbie Downer (Shaun) haha. Most of these film images are not representing the true character of the film, most are poorly scanned with color casts and contrast curves that is not set properly.

I think flickr is your best option for what you are looking for. There are groups for specifically what you are looking for. I'm all for getting a library together, however, making a choice on what film to shoot based on the pool is a flawed process.

No ripping off of heads as you are absolutely correct.
I'm not particularly well versed in the Voodoo of Photoshop, and despite my best efforts, many is the slide I've scanned where the image on my computer screen doesn't even come close to duplicating the vibrance and colours of my projected slides.

I'd love to see examples from slides vs negs. (slides are positives, right?) I'd also love a bit of information on the differences between the two and why someone would choose one over the other, the benefits or pitfalls etc...

Anybody have any Fuji Velvia 50?

Doug
Keep in mind that when one shoots slides, the little piece of film one gets back inside the cardboard or plastic mount is the same film that was inside the camera. However, when shooting print film, it is the negatives that were inside the camera, and the prints are negatives of the negatives.
So, with slide film one only has one chance to get the exposures and colour casts correct, while with print film even if the negative is not properly exposed, it is possible to correct the exposure and colour casts from incandescent or fluorescent lighting when making the prints.
Thus bracketing with print film is pointless as the lab can usually fix the exposures if there is sufficent information on the negative. However, when one brackets with slide film, the differences in the exposures are easily apparent because what one shot is what one got.
Another characteristic of film is exposure latitude, which is the range of over- and under-exposure that will still permit one to produce a reasonably decent image.
With print film exposure latitude can be up to seven or eight stops, while with slide film, the latitiude is much narrower, generally between 1/2 stop under and 1 stop over.
So shooting slides takes more exposure precision that shooting prints, and when one shoots print, one exposes for the shadows, and uses darkroom techniques to get detail in the highlighted areas, while with slide film one exposes for the highlights and lets the shadows take care of themselves.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I was taught by a pro mentor many years ago that if I wanted to learn about exposure I needed to shoot slides, so I did and he was right.
I've used it for so long that now I just feel at home with slide film despite the greater exposure precision it requires, and besides in my opinion nothing beats the vibrance and colour of a projected slide.
And yes, I have about 100 or 200 rolls of Fuji Velvia 50 in the freezer courtesy of my now digital photobuds.

Well, whew... thanks Amir.. you just saved me a lot of time and work maintaining this thread.

:tongue: :wink: In all seriousness, I realize the Internet is not the greatest place to compare, but I live in film-no-man's-land and I need something. If nothing else, it can give some of us no-nothings a starting point.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom