The Filter Q&A Thread

Okay I want to keep this in the filter thread. Looking at a Lee system and just want to know if anyone has used it successfully with the Nikon Circular Polarizer II. I have it and it has filters on the front and is very thing. Google didn't give me much other than one guy questioned if using Lee's WA adapter "would the CPL get lost in there" and not be able to be removed. While it's a great quality CPL, it can be a pain to remove. Anyone using this or did you opt for the 105mm CPL from Lee? Thanks

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Do you mean you intend to screw a Lee adapter into the Nikon CPL threads? If so, I think that would be rather cumbersome to work with.

From personal experience I also know that the Lee 105mm CPL can be rather cumbersome to use, makes everything front-heavy and takes up a fair amount of room in one's camera bag.. When I'm using the Lee system, I use their 4x4" CPL. You have to use two sets of holders connected together if you want to use other filters (e.g., a GND), but even at that it's lighter than the 105mm CPL.

Isamu, how does that work with just one piece? I looked and it's just a square. I'm used to the two pieces rotating against each other to get the sweet spot for eliminating glare and enhancing colors. How does it work? Not seeing a lot on the 4x4, only the 105mm CPL. Thanks

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Basically the same as a regular CPL. You turn the holder and it darkens up. If I'm not mistaken, regular CPLs are also only made up of one piece of glass with a two-piece filter ring. The filters using two pieces of glass are the variable NDs.

If you want to use this square filter and, say, a GND, then you'll need two holders and the LEE Filters Accessory Tandem Adapter to join them. This will allow you to keep the GND oriented a certain way, yet still turn the CPL.

IsamuM

Not-quite-
Yes, that's right. You can get the two holders and tandem adapter separately, but Lee also has what they call their "Professional Kit" (two holders and the tandem adapter) or their "Upgrade Kit" (one holder and the tandem adapter kit for those who already have one holder). See this Lee page. (I think B&H used to sell these, but can't find them in their online store anymore.)

FWIW if you want to use the 105mm polarizer, you will also need to screw the 105mm Accessory Ring to the front of the filter holder and then screw the 105mm CPL into the Accessory Ring. Scroll down to "Fitting the Polarizer" on this page to see an illustration. It's a great polarizer, but as I wrote previously it's a bit cumbersome and a hassle to take off when you don't want to use it.

Thanks. I understand how the 105mm CP works, but didn't get the square polarizer. I'm thinking of going the 100mm system for 77mm lenses even though I have a 14-24. I'm not sure keeping that and buying the extremely expensive SW150 is really my best option. I'm currently researching my best option. Thanks

IsamuM

Not-quite-
John, I faced the same dilemma. I had the 14-24, but also had the 16-35 because I often needed to use filters. Another problem that I noticed with the SW150 was that it cannot be used with ND filters because it lets light in from the sides. My solution was to sell both the 14-24 and 16-35 and get the Zeiss 15mm/f2.8 which will take 95mm filters. Not the perfect solution since it limits the GNDs I can use, but since I use a 10-stop ND more than a GND it works for me.

Isamu, thanks for your insight. I've had the 14-24 for 5 years and i've used it twice. Once at the Grand Canyon (and I live in AZ) and once at my cousin's wedding. The lens is "new". I don't need the money, but I can't help but think it would be better off with someone who can really use it. Funny thing, when you are at the grand canyon, there is no such thing as "too wide". You really need more than 14mm. I was thinking I could sell it and get a 24mm f/1.4. I don't know that it would suit me better, but that is a great lens and the filter system would fit that along with my 24-70, 70-200, and 85. Real world problems right? I want the right filter system to cover everything and I can't get the big stopper with the 14-24. I think the ultimate quality wide angle lens was also killed by its size :(

IsamuM

Not-quite-
I'm not sure that the 14-24 is "killed" by its size, but it certainly is crippled, although a lot can be done in post.
I'm pretty sure that a lot of the grand vistas in the American west are best captured with panoramas. :)
Personally, I love shooting ultra-wides and actually agonized whether the 1 mm difference from 14 to 15 mm would restrict my shooting. :confused:
Interestingly enough, I had the 24/f1.4 and sold it, but am thinking of buying one again. There is something I love about that focal length and that Nikkor is indeed special.

Well, I bought filters for now for my 77mm lenses (Lee 100mm system). I can play with them on my 24-70 for now, not going to buy a new lens just yet. I did have it in my cart before checking out, but removed it :eek: Not going to dump the 14-24 just yet either. I'm like a packrat when it comes to my gear.

Real Name
Randy
Isamu, thanks for your insight. I've had the 14-24 for 5 years and i've used it twice. Once at the Grand Canyon (and I live in AZ) and once at my cousin's wedding. The lens is "new". I don't need the money, but I can't help but think it would be better off with someone who can really use it. Funny thing, when you are at the grand canyon, there is no such thing as "too wide". You really need more than 14mm. I was thinking I could sell it and get a 24mm f/1.4. I don't know that it would suit me better, but that is a great lens and the filter system would fit that along with my 24-70, 70-200, and 85. Real world problems right? I want the right filter system to cover everything and I can't get the big stopper with the 14-24. I think the ultimate quality wide angle lens was also killed by its size :(
I had and sold 2 24/1.4s
Never could find a use at 1.4 so what's the point
I almost never shoot my 14-24 or 24-70
IMO the 24-120 is as good IQ wise and the VR and focal range are much better for landscapes.
If I leave the 14-24 home on my Scotland trip I will probably sell it when I get home

Randy, I like your though process. I'm thinking about the 24-120 a whole lot. 77mm and really no loss when using my D3 or D700.

Progrey makes a really good high quality system - progreyusa.com . I love the cpl adaptors with sliding windows so you can adjust the cpl from behind, and I'm pretty sure the holders are compatible with various filters from Lee, Hitech, etc. I'm waiting for more ND filters from them. I am thinking of getting the Nikon 14-24 then a progrey g150 holder for that. Anyone try that yet?

Two questions:

Best way to remove a stuck filter?

Basically my Breakthrough CPL has decided to become permanently attached to my Zeiss Distagon, now given the price of the lens and filter I am nervous about using too much force, so before I go to the repair shop looking suitably embarrassed any tips? currently the lens is sat in the fridge hoping cooling it will help. Also any tips to help prevent it getting stuck in the future.

Best way to clean ND filters?

Having wasted a day hiking in the deepest darkest Welsh mountains to photography sunset only for all my shots to be ruined by a dirty gard, I'm looking for cleaning options before I chuck the lot in the bin and spend too much money with Lee. Options that I've considered so far include, hot soapy water, windowleen and the Lee filter cleaner, any experiance good or bad with any of these approaches?

Real Name
Randy
Two questions:

Best way to remove a stuck filter?

Basically my Breakthrough CPL has decided to become permanently attached to my Zeiss Distagon, now given the price of the lens and filter I am nervous about using too much force, so before I go to the repair shop looking suitably embarrassed any tips? currently the lens is sat in the fridge hoping cooling it will help. Also any tips to help prevent it getting stuck in the future.

Best way to clean ND filters?

Having wasted a day hiking in the deepest darkest Welsh mountains to photography sunset only for all my shots to be ruined by a dirty gard, I'm looking for cleaning options before I chuck the lot in the bin and spend too much money with Lee. Options that I've considered so far include, hot soapy water, windowleen and the Lee filter cleaner, any experiance good or bad with any of these approaches?
Use a rubber band. Start with RB around filter

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom