Critique The Fine Art of Squeezing a Lemon

Setup
The background is black velvet. Two small continuous-light lamps on the left and right were positioned to allow just a little light falling on the subject. A white reflector on the right brightened the underside of the wrench.

Capture #1: The scene without the drip was captured using a set of focus-bracketed images. Capture #2: Aqua Gel was added to simulate a drip of lemon juice and one capture was made with the focus point on the drip. The drip was moved from Capture #2 to Capture #1.

Focus bracketing
The scene without the drip: 20 focus-bracketed images using Nikon step size 2.

Mike 2020-03-15--002-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you also to Dave, Nick and John!

"A sledges hammer to crack a nut".

I've actually had an idea for over a year of photographing a completely different subject but using the same concept of overkill. I haven't tried executing it. The main reason is that I thought it would be best with new, shiny tools and none of mine fit that bill. Now that I've made this photo, I'm wondering if the image won't be just as appealing if not more so using old tools as in this photo.

How did you keep the wrench upright?

I bought a small vise from my next-door neighbor for $2 at his yard sale. It works perfectly for positioning the relatively heavier tabletop props.

Last edited:
Thank you to Ted and Andy!

I think you need a vice.

That's so true, as I was surprised how ineffective the pipe wrench was. I suppose a larger wrench would work better. The problem with using a vice is that it would have to be hung upside down to collect the juice. That would be surrealistic, though, so maybe very cool!

Last edited:
Thank you to Dan, Bill and Dave!

Being a pipe wrench kind of guy

You could become my best friend the next time I have a plumbing problem.

I really like tomato juice.
What do you have???

The last time I had tomato juice was probably decades ago when I drank a Bloody Mary. I should probably make a photo of one some day.

My favorite juice is orange juice. I drink a glass every day at breakfast.

Latest threads

Top Bottom