The floods in England

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob the Spiderman, Jul 23, 2007.

1. http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30100-1276411,00.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6911226.stm

I am not sure if those of you who reside outside the UK are aware of the incredible rain and the unpresidented flooding that Central England is experiencing at this moment in time. On Saturday morning I put on the TV to find pictures of the beautiful Cotswold village I used to live in under water. Apparently the River Evenlode had broken its' banks at 1.00am and a 12ft wall of water had swept through the village. Our old house would certainly been affected by this type of event. Our very own Paul AKA Monty Dog is in one of the worst affected areas, so if he is online then he may be able to update us on the situation in the Gloucestershire/Cheltenham area.

Rather than go into a lot of detail I have posted a couple of links that give you some idea of the scale of the damage and flooding, but I have to say that you really need to know, or have lived in the area, to fully appreciate what is happening.

The thing that I find really interesting is the cause to the problem. I am a bit of a weather nut so please forgive this brief explanation.

The Jet Stream has moved south rather then north and at the moment is passing over Northern France rather than Greenland. This fast moving band of cold air is hitting the warm air coming up from Africa and then diverging in the Troposhere. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troposphere in an anticlockwise direction. The amount of water in this part of the atmosphere is incredible and is now falling to earth. Not only that, but instead of passing over the land, it is going round in anticlockwise circles and we are getting the amount of 1 to 2 months rain in 24 to 48 hours. In some cases this is 5 to 6 inches. 119mm.

At the moment I am listening to Radio Oxford online and there is a very good chance that the River Thames will overflow its banks in Oxford and Abingdon causing the worst flood to these cities in 100years.

I apologise if some of you have found this a little boring, but I thought that other members who visit England, like Rich, would like to know what is happening over here at this moment in time.

Best wishes. Bob F.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  2. Just read it and sorry to learn that.

I hope our friends in UK are all okay.

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I guess you all are getting southern US's rain too. We are bone dry here, but it's to late just about for all but irrigated crops, hay output is way down if not non existent, People have been waiting a month or more to mow grass. I think I waited 5-6 weeks on my Mom's last time. Even then, not much to cut. It is a serious drought.

best of luck wading through this, to dryer times...

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Sorry to hear this
    Mother nature is not kind at times

5. Stay dry Bob and Pam. Hope our other members there are all ok. Thanks for the information.

6. The devastation that flooding damage causes goes on for years - lost possessions, lost homes, endless battles with insurance companies. I feel so bad for those folks who would never have expected flooding in their part of the world. I'd never think of the UK having monsoon-type weather! :eek: It was always just a constant drizzle whenever I was there.

7. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    The deluge was on Friday, and I watched it through a window at work. It was the heaviest rain I have ever seen. Street lights came on as it was so dark. Even Indian colleagues were impressed. Fortunately there have been few deaths, but as mentioned, several feet of sewage contaminated water does not do your carpets and possessions any good.

The bad news is that river levels are still rising and hundreds of thousands of people may be without water or electricity.

The real problem here is that insurers will refuse to insure houses in the high risk areas, which will be very severe for the home owners, and make selling near impossible.

8. Bob,

I become a weather nut myself when severe weather hits the Eastern U.S. Nature's power fascinates me.

Water is such a powerful destroyer of homes and infrastructure. I hope you and Pam remain safe and that Paul is okay as well.

9. We do not have a problem here, as one of Pam's duties is to stand at the front door with a brush and mop and sweep away any water that comes too close, while I watch Le Tour de France.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

LOL.Bob F.

10. This situation is devastating indeed for large parts of the UK. I'm glad to see that you are OK Bob & Pam.
    Keep well.

11. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Much of Texas is facing similar problems, but in the areas of Texas that flood, this is much more common than in the UK.

12. This is the latest update. Quite ironic.:Shocked::Shocked:

Bob F.

13. I saw this on the news last night, and at first thought I was watching Texas, seeing people get airlifted out by helicopter and all...but was astonished to see it was the UK.

Then the news did switch to Texas and more of the same. However, the authorities have had the good sense to arrest and charge the boneheads who insist on driving their SUVs past the warning signs into 3 feet of fast moving water (i.e. visible whitecaps) and then force the authorities to risk their lives to rescue them. The news actually showed them getting handcuffed after taking off their life preserver. Bravo!

14. We have some of these idiots in the UK, and the police have warned them that they will be arrested for dangerous driving as their bow waves are swamping people's houses more than necessary. Personally I hate these vehicles, as they are too large, have cowbars that are dangerous to pedestrians, and the only places they go 'off road' is on their drives and in their garages!!:eek::eek:

Bob F.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2007
  15. I saw that on the news yesterday and was thinking about all our UK members. Hope you are all doing OK. We could sure use a little of your rain here in Utah to put out our fires.

16. Bob is correct, we donot have a problem with flooding here, the only problem I have is keeping him quiet.:846::866::846:

Thanks Dave for the Lol.

It has been a terrible summer, 1 week of sunshine, and then followed by 6 weeks of rain and dull weather.

We are just grateful that Cornwall has not suffered from the floods.

Best wishes to all our friends in the UK that may be affected.

Pam

17. I just received an email from Paul

18. LOL

I just finished watching this morning's stage, the second day through the Pyrenees. That was some finish between Contador and Rasmussen. I've been watching the Tour for years now. This is the most interesting one in years. No clear favorite right now, although Rasmussen seems to be inching his way forward.

I sympathize with you all for the rains. We stayed in a historic B&B in Abingdon in 1999. It was near that river. I hope it doesn't overflow. There is a beautiful church on the banks..dates to around the 11th or 12th century.

Thanks, Rich

19. Jarrell

Jarrell

Feb 13, 2005
    Macon, Ga.
    I was reading about this just this morning, and I also thought of east Texas. Like Doug said earlier, we could use some of it here in the S.E United States... but not Toooo much now. I was also reading about some scientist types are saying, based on explorations of the English Channel, that there was around a 100, 000 year period when the British Isles were cut off from human mirgration by two very large floods cutting through the chalky land bridge to Europe mainland. Just where the floods originated wasn't mentioned. The 'White Cliffs of Dover' are what's left of the bridge on that end. Interesting.
    Anyway, I feel for the people that have lost their homes. As I look around here I realize it ain't all that much, but it's all we've got and I'd sure hate to see it washed away.
    Jarrell