The Fly Bye (A true story)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by hangin tree, May 24, 2007.

1. (A True Story) I had gone to the blind this morning only to find the eagle nest tree empty. After waiting over a hour I had sadly decided they were not coming back soon and packed up my camera and started the long packing out process. After walking through swamp and forest for 20 minutes, I came to the field where my car was parked. As I crossed the field Camera and Tripod in hand I heard the call of the Eagle from behind me. Without hesitation I turned on the camera and Fired off a handheld shot. It was as if the bird was saying goodbye. I can tell you a tear came to a old mans eyes when I thought it was the end of my time with them. Not a great Photo but I'm glad to have it.

FlyBye1.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2007
  2. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Darn it, Gary, now you've made me cry.

Wonderful series, Gary, good job. Think of it as sending your kids off to college, or as the end of baseball season. And next year, your eagles should be back and you'll get to do this all over again!

3. Thank you for sharing your spring experience here Gary, it has fascinated me for many weeks.

4. It is the "Jest" of ending chapter to the 5 month saga. I'm really not sad just understanding the blessings I've been given to share.

5. Thank Frits

I hope it will make a good story for my kids to enjoy, from their dad.

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    VEry nice story.
    Sad to see an empty nest.
    They go back from time to time. I bet missy goes back.
    You should see them flying around

7. I'm planning on getting few In-Flight of Missy and pull my Blind. I will then move on the next project.

8. Gary don't look at it sad, look at it happy as there are a few more eagles added to this great nation of ours. They will from time to time hang out near the nest tree so give it a go every once and awhile. Believe it or not the 500 wit a 1.4 and the fact that it has IS is a remarkable set up even hand held. This is the main reason I got this combo. I mostly use a Monopod with a gimble head for it.
    Lou

9. It is the end of the story and I know I can go back and see them from time to time, but I have to end it someplace.

10. Tim O

Tim O

Jun 11, 2006
    Illinois
    Nice one Gary,it is so true these birds have touched my heart like I never thought they would.Once I really started to photograph them and watch them raise there young I became quit close to them,they are just so magnificent of the birds.I really miss the time out with good people watching and photographing them:frown:.Thanks for the full frame of memories.:smile:

11. It was my Pleasure Tim

Glad to have you along

12. Well, Gary I can certainly feel your sadness! I have loved every photo, every bit of information, every morsel of education you have provided! If it wasn't for you, I'd still not know about how old an eagle is before their head feathers turn white, nor that the baby eagles are all brown! It's thanks to you I've learned so much and look forward even more to the day when I can get my own eagle photos! And as usual, I like this photo too!

13. It is the end to the story Dianne

A new beginning

14. Chris_B

Chris_B

Mar 12, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    That is a very nice shot Gary. I like the framing as it give a sense of wing man pulling up and to the left to depart the formation. It was a very nice story these last few months. Thanks for sharing it with us.

15. Thanks Chris

It is the end of the series I have a few clean up shots and then go through and sort about 5000 pictures and assemble them into a story of the last 5 months

16. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Thanks for taking us on the ride Gary. Maybe next year will be even better!

17. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    You took through a wonderful journey Gary. Now you'll just have to occupy your time with another beautiful species until next Eagle season. And your grainy, unprepared-for image.....is gorgeous!!! I tip my hat to you for your commitment to the family of Eagles.:wink:

18. There are still many shots here but I'm moving on. This is the end of the story.

19. Thanks Frank

I have over 5000 pictures of better IQ than this one, but this will still be used to end the series.

20. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    That last image is outstanding and probably has enough true meaning to sustain you until next season. I sure hope that you will print, matte and frame it to be placed in a prominant place in your home.