The future of DX Lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by bokehmanedof, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Im on the fence about buying a 17-55 f2.8, with FF cameras on the horizon, it makes it a little more difficult to invest in one. Im trying to make the right decision and i need a little help. what are your thoughts on the future of DX lenses? which ones will become useless and whatnot (on FF Cameras). Please HELP! I got until tomorrow to make that decision!

Thanks

Joey

2. Dont be afraid of them, just do it

3. The 17-55m f/2.8 is an excellent lens. It will work wonderfully on your current DX body and on all DX bodies for years..... There is no telling when Nikon is going to come out with a FF camera body and even when they do that doesn't mean that all of our current bodies are suddenly going to vanish in a puff of smoke. That DX lens will be useable and saleable for years to come.... If you want it, need it and have the money for it, BUY it!

4. I don't really like the idea myself, but don't be afraid one bit. That's a great lens and if you don't buy it now, think about all the images you won't take with it! Plenty of DX cameras out there, it will always be a fine salable lens.

5. two slow

two slow

Apr 22, 2006
    Talladega, Al
    Or if they ever will.

6. SP77

SP77

Jun 4, 2007
    Rockville, MD
    There will be plenty of newer DX bodies for years to come. I'd only worry about whether to buy a DX lens or not if you're pondering upgrading to FF if and when it's available from Nikon, and there's nothing solid or confirmed yet on that anyways. It'd just be more money tied up is all, and I don't think the resale values of the lenses will be going anywhere in the long run. If a FF camera is released there may be a short term dip in resale as DX people dump their lenses for FF compatible ones, but after that it'll stabilize. Any FF camera will be enormously expensive and out of the budgets for the majority of people out there.

If Nikon releases an FF camera and people are suddenly dumping their 17-55/2.8DX's I might be tempted to pick one up. :biggrin:

7. Yea... FF is going to be big $$$$ IF they decide to make one.

8. In my lens-buying strategy I've bought both DX lenses and lenses which can be used on a FF camera, so that covers me no matter what the future brings! I didn't start to do that intentionally, things just sort of worked out that way as time went on and I was purchasing lenses for specific uses. When the drums began beating about Nikon doing a FF camera body, I looked over my lenses and said, "well, I'm covered!" :smile:

To the OP: if you are that concerned about the 17-55mm being a DX lens, have you considered the excellent 17-35mm instead? That lens would work on a FF camera.

9. Please excuse my ignorance. What is FF?

10. Yea i thought about it, the 17-55 would suit my need so much better though.

11. Which of the DX lenses will not be compatible with FF (if they decide to make one)?

12. Shellie, "FF" stands for "Full Frame." We all go tossing these initials around and forget that newcomers to photography might not always understand what they mean!

"DX" -- lenses which are designed for camera bodies with the so-called "crop factor" of 1.5x (in Nikon). With digital camera sensors, they made changes from the standard full frame format that was prevalent in 35mm film cameras.

"FF" -- lenses which are designed for use in camera bodies which have the full POV that was used in 35mm film cameras. People can put these lenses on a DX camera body and immediately get the benefit of an additional 1.5x (so it seems, anyway). Makes your 300mm telephoto lens seem like a 450mm telephoto lens, for example. While this is advantageous on the long end, problems come up when one wants to shoot wide-angle, as that wide angle lens suddenly doesn't seem as wide any more!

13. Full Frame, a.k.a. 1.0 crop factor, with a sensor the same size as traditional film. i.e. 24x36mm. DX is 1.5 crop factor. The expectation is that Nikon will soon announce a full frame, or close to it (perhaps 1.1 crop factor), high-end camera.

On such a "full frame" camera, DX lenses will vignette at their wider end, but they will actually work fine starting at the focal length x 1.5: for instance, a 12-24 will work fine, without vignetting at 12*1.5 = 18mm and a 17-55 will not vignette starting at 17*1.5 = 26mm, give or take 1mm...

14. leifw

leifw

Jul 25, 2007
    Bozeman, MT
    Yeah, I'll definitely be snatching up DX lenses if Nikon releases a FF body and folks start dumping their old stuff. I usually want to be longer instead of wider so APS is great for me.

15. There is also a very large (and probable) speculation that a FF body will automatically support DX lenses, with a 1.5 crop mode, similar to what the D2X(s) is doing with High Speed Crop, which is providing a 2.0 crop mode on a 1.5 crop factor body, at the push of a button. An FF body could sense that a DX lens was mounted (communicating with the lens CPU) and apply the 1.5 crop factor, without any user intervention. This would make all the DX lenses continue to work, with just a smaller resolution than FF lenses...

16. Whew, wouldn't THAT be nice? Our investment would be safe, our lenses useable! That would be just dandy as far as I'm concerned. Now if only this wonder-camera would make an appearance!!!!!!

17. And we wouldn't be having any more conversations like this one! Well, until the next polarizing (ouch :biggrin: ) issue came up.

18. This would be the Smartest thing that Nikon should do! Then we all be happy :biggrin:

19. Thanks Connie and Phillipe.

20. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    I'm suprized noone mentioned this. but as you already have a 12-24, and you are seriously worried about FF and will be able to afford one in the near future, then just get the beast! (28-70 2.8) its an awsome lens.