1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The glamorous world of camera straps!

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by Rolf, Aug 28, 2008.

1. I currently have a D70, (Yes a lowly D70 but I still love it). The heaviest lens I have for this is the 70-300VR. I still use the original Nikon strap that came with the camera. Some months ago it occurred to me, this thing is around my neck about 10% of the time. The remaining time is spent hand holding it or on a tripod. Typically I grab the camera, loop the strap once around my wrist, (I’m clumsy), and shoot. I would really appreciate any suggestions you may have for a replacement strap. Something that’s easy to wrap around the wrist but still comfortable enough to wear around the neck. Yes…it should support at least $1K of equipment. :) 

Thanks!
    Rolf

2. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    How about Domke Grippers?

3. PDuany

PDuany

Aug 10, 2005
    NH
    I use the Op/tech it has a section you can unclip so that you have a smaller loop around your wrist. very comfortable when using the shoulder strap portion

4. JustEd

JustEd

Jul 21, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    My preference

is the Op/Tech. My sister asked me once why the strap was short and had to show her how the clips allow you to make a shorter strap out of it in a few seconds.

Now whatever happened to the 80's garish flowered six inch wide camera straps???

5. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I still have one kickin' around somewhere. Friends used to call it my 'Woodstock' strap when I was shooting events with F3 bodies in the '80s. I remember buying it while in San Francisco.

I'll have to dig it out and string it up for nostalgia sakes :) 

6. I'd suggest 2 straps for different needs.

For the quick grab, use a wrist or hand strap.
    Something like the camdapter or the coolanyard. Personally I use the coolanyard.

For a general strap carrying a reasonable load, the blackrapid RS-1. Its very comfortable.

7. tomtodeath

tomtodeath

Jan 11, 2007
    new jersey
    I currently have a domke strap on my d200, but its not what i want. Im tired of cheap canvas and rubber and foam that most straps are made of these days. Give me a strap with leather and suede.
    I really want one of these, but cant get them here in the states...
    http://shop.nikon-image.com/campaign/nos_porter/index.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. someone here turned me on to them
    i've never owned a more confidence-inspiring grip
    that's all i'll buy from now on

9. look here for variety of straps

Is Roberts Imaging a good store, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2008
  10. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Second this setup...great versatility.

11. lovemy8514

lovemy8514 Guest

The Optech Pro strap is great with a fairly heavly load.

12. I've used the OpTech straps, and I like them. But I went with the Kata Reflex-E on my D300. These have small zippered pockets on each side which will hold CF cards - and that's important to me since I only use 4G cards. If you can find one, they're wonderful.

13. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
  14. Thanks for the help everyone, I appreciate it. Looks like I'll be trying the Op/Tech though I still haven't made up my mind which one.

Rolf

15. truflip

truflip

Jul 28, 2008
    Ottawa, ON
    yea, i used one for my old camera (canon s3 is) and it was great.
    thinking of getting one for my D80.
    i really like them cause the grippy side works (for me).
    and theyre not chunky but are durable.

16. MMarz

MMarz

Sep 15, 2007
    Long Island, NY

I've added yet another Op/Tech and I think I like this one best...

So far I have two of the plain neoprene..the ones with the QR clips and no webbing, just the stretchy neoprene. I have two that are the contoured HD versions with the thick webbing on the back and the QR clamps, and I just bought a narrow neoprene with the thick webbing on the back...

The plain neoprene are for the tripod, and the bodies when traveling light since I don't trust them for toting anything heavy.

The contoured ones are for around the neck with heavier lenses like a 70-200.

The newest one seems to work best as an over-the-shoulder with a 70-200 or 300/2.8 attached or for the attachment points on the 500.

I also have a wrist strap I made that snaps into the QR.

It is so easy to custom tailor the strap to whatever you are carrying and packing is so easy with the QR's. I guess I have a neck strap fetish..

17. Thanks Michael I really appreciate the response.

Rolf

18. Domke gripper straps on all my bodies since my F4s. For me, they are the best.

19. mematsu

mematsu

May 2, 2007
    los angeles
  20. I have the op tech but am just using the loop connectors. They often get twisted. Have any of you tried the swivel hooks?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.