The Gonzaga Project

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Last Sunday I returned to the Mantua area in the Po Valley to photograph a couple of places on my hit list.

I wanted to shoot the covered arcades in San Marino dell'Argine and Gazzuolo as well as a couple of Churches.

These shots were mostly shot on the old but quite sharp Nikon 28PC and the Samyang 24 Tilt Shift. The only problem with these lenses is that it takes lots of time to view level and shift. In the church it was so dark I was almost working blind. I shot and then corrected after looking at the shot on the back monitor.

I had almost finished in the church in Gazzuolo when the verger turned up and without asking turned on the lights. We had a nice chat and then he vanished and I reshot with some decent light. I find people are always happy to see sombody taking an interest in their monuments in these small villages.

I came a away with a nice mix of different lighting.

NCV_6957_DxOsmall.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1 San Marino dell'Argine hand held 28PC

NCV_7001_DxOsmall.jpg

2 San Marino dell'Argine 28PC

DSC_4352_DxOsmall.jpg

3 San Marino dell'Argine

NCV_7022_DxOsmall.jpg

4 Chiesa di Santa Maria Nascente, Gazzuolo Samyang 24TSb Taken in almost total darkness

NCV_7052_DxOsmall.jpg

6 Same shot with lights

NCV_7037_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_7047_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_7067_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_7058_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_7051_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_7088_DxOsmall.jpg

Gazzuolo Portici. 28PC

NCV_7104_DxOsmall.jpg

NCV_7108_DxOsmall.jpg

These are wonderful photographs, Nigel. I think I like the one of the church interior in the dark better than the lighted one. It has more of a three dimensional appearance that draws one into the scene.

The arcades in those little towns remind me of Bologna.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
These are wonderful photographs, Nigel. I think I like the one of the church interior in the dark better than the lighted one. It has more of a three dimensional appearance that draws one into the scene.

The arcades in those little towns remind me of Bologna.
Yes, I like the natual light shot better too.

These arcades are typical of the Po Valley. Bologna is perhaps the most astonishing case of this very practical architecture. My Italian friends like to keep out of the sun in Summer and these arcades are the perfect solution for a summer stroll around town.

Yes, I like the natual light shot better too.

These arcades are typical of the Po Valley. Bologna is perhaps the most astonishing case of this very practical architecture. My Italian friends like to keep out of the sun in Summer and these arcades are the perfect solution for a summer stroll around town.
I spent several summers at the University of Bologna in the 1980s. The first one featured a lot of rainy weather. I could walk from my lodgings near the main university buildings across town to the Faculty of Engineering almost completely sheltered.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom