The Gradus Group.

I learned, through B&H about their products, especially their dedicated BOLT flash for Nikon cameras. They also manufacture lighting accessories, tripods and ballheads.
From what I have been able to learn, those flashes are manufactured in China, according to them, under strict quality control and they come with an excellent warranty.
Several features in the flash called my attention. They support TTL-BL, have a very good tilt and swivel head, can be triggered wireless, zoom head, rear curtain sync, AF assist light and a Guide No. of 140 for ISO 100. One feature I do not feel comfortable with is the flash exposure compensation. It s not incorporated into the flash, rather it has to be used in camera. As far as I know, Nikon cameras EC affect both, ambient light and flash and if those functions can be separated I admit I am not aware of it.
I am hoping someone here has experience with these flashes that theoretically look like a good alternative to the expensive Nikon flashes.
If you are one of those persons I would certainly appreciate your comments.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just went through the flash section of my D300 and D7000. Indeed, Nikon bodies support flash exposure compensation and it can be set in the menus and yes, ambient exposure compensation is a totally different setting from flash exposure compensation in Nikon bodies.
The Bolt flash also supports FP flash so, if you ask me, based in my lack of experience with these flashes, for $179 it gives Nikon flashes a good run for the money.
I was expecting someone here to be using these flashes but it does not seem so.
Still, if someone reads this and is using this flash from the Gradus Group I would like to hear your comments.

William.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
From further investigations into independent flash brands I have seen, at least the specs, that many independent companies manufacture dedicated TTL flashes for Nikon.
If I was into professional photography, I am not, I would certainly go with one of the expensive and latest Nikon flashes but for the casual shooter on a budget an independent dedicated flash could be a very good alternative especially for off camera flash.
Vivitar, Sigma, Bolt and Yongnuo seem to be excellent alternatives at reasonable prices. The comments I have read in the Internet are vary favorable.
I use the SB-600, a great little flash that feels my needs and it sells for a reasonable price. No need for more power if you are a casual shooter.

William.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom