The Great American Pastime

The Great American Pastime (minor league style)

I'm burned out on big league sports... overpaid primadonnas, labor lockouts, drug scandals, outrageous ticket prices, etc.
But I still love sports, so decided to sample the minor league experience last week... the San Jose Giants, which is a single A
baseball club. Minor league stadiums are nice, intimate venues for photography, but I was worried I might be turned away
at the gate if I showed up with my camera gear. I called the stadium office to find out the rules, but the kid I talked to didn't
know for sure. He just " thought" it would be OK, which didn't do much to ease my concerns :-/. But I showed up with my backpack
and a monopod, and breezed right though the gate.

Here's a look at the infield seating at San Jose Municipal Stadium. It was built in 1942, as a WPA project, and holds just over 4,000 fans.
45359481.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When I was approaching my seat, I saw security guards were positioned in each aisle, but they weren't your normal beefy bouncers.
I decided to put my freedom-to-photograph to the test, and take my first pictures of... the security gurards! One of them gave me a
mean look when she saw the 80-200 line up on her...
View attachment 11198

but by the 2nd inning, the guards were posing for me :).
View attachment 11199

The kids that attended the game were as thrilled by their access to the players as the players were about being asked for their autographs.
View attachment 11200
View attachment 11201

The baseball was competitive, hard played, and exciting, and to my uncritical eye, near to major league levels.
View attachment 11202
View attachment 11203

But for me, the most memorable sights were of the young fans enjoying a fine day at the park.
View attachment 11204

It was a super day for baseball, and the home team won! I've already purchased another set of tickets for this Friday :).

Excellent documentation of a piece of Americana Frank. Very enjoyable read and excellent pictures. We definitely need more security guards like these too. 8)

Those are great! Think I might just take the boys to a Huntsville Stars game sometime in the near future! It's a farm team and it's turned out a few major leaguers. I love your last shot...the best of of the bunch!

Uncle Frank said:
The Great American Pastime (minor league style)

but by the 2nd inning, the guards were posing for me :).

That's California for ya. The security guards at my stadium all dress out around 250 with a good part of that hanging over their belt. :lol:

Nice series, Frank. My 70-200 spends a good portion of the time at football games pointed at the crowd. You can catch most every human emotion and grab some great "people" shots. It's just fun to do.

Phil

Hi Frank, if I had known that they had security guards like that I would have changed my pastime. Nice to be able to practice your hobby while they practice their avocation. Fun images with nice home town feel to them.

Real Name
Nikon Cafe
Great fun here Frank. Thanks for sharing that. Make me want get out to the ballpark. we have AAA richmond Braves here, always fun. I REALLY need to pay closer attention to the security staff tho

Hmmm... Guess I should be looking out for "security guards" too when I attend some Brooklyn Cyclones games at Coney Island this summer. :D Maybe our kids will enjoy it more this time around since my son played pee-wee baseball and can appreciate the game now (though sitting-and-watching won't be the same as playing).

Don't think we'll have such nice seating though to get shots from behind home plate.

Thanks for sharing...

_Man_

Man-Fai Wong said:
Don't think we'll have such nice seating though to get shots from behind home plate.

Sitting behind home plate was a mixed blessing. I had to shoot through a mesh screen that's behind the backstop. Since I was using the long end of the 80-200, it was mostly blurred out, but I had to photo-shop out what appeared to be a dark network of "shadows".

PGB

Excellent captures. Leigh and I were just thinking the same thing UF, about a little girl. Then we decided to go to a baseball game. :)

Cheers,

Patrick Bramlett said:
Excellent captures. Leigh and I were just thinking the same thing UF, about a little girl. Then we decided to go to a baseball game. :)

Cheers,

The two thoughts aren't mutually exclusive... unless you're shy :wink:.

Patrick Bramlett said:

Cheers,

Um..Patrick,

That's not where little girls come from. :wink:

Rich

Nice shots Frank, I agree I only go to pro sports events now when they are comped from vendors. I love single A ball these guys are playing hard with the hopes of making the big leagues. Plus the stadium is set up for families and is so much more affordable.

Thanks for the pictures UF, great as usual. I used to take my girls to A games at Yale ball park for the same reason - wonderful family atmosphere, cheap and fun. We actually followed a couple of the guys' careers into the majors, they were almost ready when we watched them. This is the best way to watch the game in my view - pro talent and little ego. And you really got the family feeling of the event..

Latest threads

Top Bottom