1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

The Great Falls of the Potomac

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Hylander, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Hylander

Hylander Subscribing Member

Jul 6, 2019
    North Springfield VA
    Bill Walderman
    48018899652_bf710842e2_k.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Gorgeous image in every way, Bill.

If you took that shot in the last several years, I'm surprised you were able to get that viewpoint. That's because of the plastic fencing they put up years ago that prevents people from getting on the rock formations.

3. Hylander

Jul 6, 2019
    North Springfield VA
    Bill Walderman
    Thank you, Mike. I actually took this image on June 6 with my recently acquired Z6, from one of the overlooks. I didn't need to climb out on the rocks, and in any event, I'm not physically capable of doing so, given my physical limitations due to bilateral knee replacement surgery. However, the fencing doesn't prevent people from climbing out on the rocks, and I've seen people do it, dangerous though it it is.

4. Jeff1

Jeff1

Mar 26, 2017
    Ferndale, WA
    Jeff
    Great shot! I like the way the river leads you back into the scene. I like it in B/W too. Jeff

5. Majestic scenery.
    Beautifully captured and processed, Bill!

6. I had no idea the Potomac river looked like that, beautiful shot and great job on the b&w conversion.

7. Hylander

Jul 6, 2019
    North Springfield VA
    Bill Walderman
    Thank you, Jeff, Bart and Rick. This is upstream from Washington DC, where the river runs through the falls and a relatively narrow gorge before widening out for the rest of its course down to the Chesapeake Bay. There is a national park on both sides of the river, though the two parts of the park are not connected by a bridge at that point.

8. To clarify that for others not familiar with the situation: On the Virginia side of Great Falls, which is where this great photo was captured, there is the Great Falls National Park. On the Maryland side of the falls, there is the Chesapeake & Ohio National Historical Park, which is named to honor the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, which has 185 miles of it in the park. That park is located partly in West Virginia, partly in Maryland and partly in Washington, D.C. I don't remember ever hearing of a bridge anywhere connecting the two parks. Both parks are administered by the National Park Service.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 10:46 PM
  9. The only bridges over the Potomac River in Maryland are American Legion (I-495 .. DC Beltway), Point of Rocks (Route 15), Burkittsville Road (Rt 287), Harpers Ferry (Route 340), Shepherdstown Pike (Route 34), Interstate 81 and Route 11 in Williamsport, Route 522 in Hancock, MD, Route 51/Route 9 in Paw Paw, WV, Greenspring Rd in Oldtown, MD, and multiple bridges in Cumberland, MD and points west.

It is really fascinating that there are so few river crossing points.

10. Hylander

Jul 6, 2019
    North Springfield VA
    Bill Walderman
    There's perennial talk of a new bridge upstream from the American Legion Bridge (the Beltway) and a new outer beltway, but the wealthy neighborhoods that would be affected won't hear of it. The only way to get across the Potomac between the Beltway and Point of Rocks MD, probably 35-40 miles upstream, is a rickety old ferry, Whites Ferry, near Leesburg VA. The American Legion Bridge has become a perpetual traffic jam. I used to go over to Maryland to walk on the C&O towpath regularly; now it's a rare occasion.

• Like Like x 1
  11. That ferry runs from 0500 to 2300 except when the water is too high and running too fast to make a safe crossing. It's the last of the 100 ferries that used to cross the Potomac River that is still in operation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Love the tones and the image.

13. Very nicely done--such a timeless image.

14. photolizard

photolizard

Mar 22, 2008
    Missouri
    Nice shot. I also like the B/W conversion. I was there back in the 1980s and have a shot from near that vantage point. There was a kayaker out there at the time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.