The Greatest Generation, a funny OB.

That is priceless! :biggrin: I would have liked to know him in this world....hopefully, the next.

What a wonderful tribute. Whoever wrote that, perhaps it was even a group effort, obviously loved the man, and truly enjoyed their time with him. If we can get just 1/10th of that, we will be lucky beyond words.

Thank you, John, I hope you are looking down on those of us you never knew, and can see how we sure would have liked to have known you. Something tells me our lives would have been the richer for the experience.

Thanks, Tom, for posting this. It is a great reminder of what is truly important in life.

Real Name
Dan
Obviously quite the character. We need more people like him in politics. We'd likely all get along a lot better.

Apparently he wrote his own obit.

Hmm, I am going to claim that the Follow-up and the line:
"Jack Holden wrote this obituary several years ago."

were not in the article when I read it. Yup, that's my story because there is NO WAY I could have missed something as obvious as that. Nope, no way I could have missed the obvious, at the very least somebody was blocking that from my eyes, or maybe I had White-Out on my screen at the time .

( Boy, do I just HATE IT when I miss something like that. And I SO enjoy it when somebody points it out publicly :wink::wink::tongue: )

Nice catch, Glenn :biggrin:

That is the kind of great character of whom we are on great need in today's world. I imagine that there is a long list of people who will miss him. It is not many of us who leave such a wonderful piece of humor to live on after we have departed.

His actions remind me of a very old tombstone on Cape Cod, with the inscription, "I told you I was sick." I would not be a bit surprised if Jack was a descendent of that fellow.

This gentleman was local and we got such a kick out of his obit. What a guy! Like others have said, I wish I could have known him.

Here's a follow up from our local newspaper's online version:

http://lancasteronline.com/article/local/858032_Who-was-Jack-Holden--Meet-the-man-behind-the-self-written-obituary-that-went-viral.html

Thanks for posting the link Glenn, that was a good read; what an amazing man.

I don't read OB, but after seeing a large funeral in our small county we opened the weekly paper to find an elderly lady of an old family name, had passed. Under her OB was this well written notice, I would have liked to have met this elderly gentleman also.

As a 22-year U.S. Air Force veteran, Mr. Jackson loved and served his country proudly. After retirement, he and his wife, Mae, lived in Saudi Arabia for several years and took the opportunity while there to travel to India, Kenya, and other exotic places. Later, he journeyed solo through Europe on his “European Odyssey” before returning home.

Well-read and widely traveled, Mr. Jackson collected a plethora of fascinating and entertaining tales from his experiences, which he loved to share. He had an insatiable curiosity of the world around him. He loved classical music, astronomy, gardening, and, above all, reading. A favorite quote he carried with him summed up his passion for reading and exploration: “The most pragmatic reason for improving one’s mind is that this is the place where one increasingly lives as one grows older. As external pleasures diminish with age, a sparsely furnished mind becomes a prison cell when it should be a lounge, a library and a balcony upon the world.” — unknown He will be deeply missed by his wife of 58 years, Ella Mae; his daughter, Ginger Concepcion (Tom); sister, BJ Long; brother, Harry Jackson; and countless nieces, nephews, and friends.

“There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.” — C.S. Lewis Tu quoque viator.

Latest threads

Top Bottom