The hasselbeauty update.

I made a thread a week or so ago about acquiring a Hasselblad 500c. Well, it works wonderfully, minus the back which is leaking a bit through the dark slide slot.

Anyway, the results of the first roll. Ilford Delta 100 in D76 for 11 minutes.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 219910

View attachment 219911

View attachment 219912

View attachment 219913

Be harsh with your c&c. :biggrin:

I especially like 2 and 5. I bet you have a silly grin on your face when you're using that camera.

Be harsh? First time out with a camera and you want harsh C&C on the photographs themselves? That just seems wrong! :tongue:

They look very good. Sharp with very creamy bokeh. Lovely contrast on the B&Ws. I do see a little leakage at the top left on a couple of them. Not major though... should be fairly easily fixed with some new seals. Lovely camera... I'm jealous.

Sorry if the following C&C is too harsh... I figured I'd give you what you asked for since I always want it when I ask for it as well. No hard feelings please. :tongue:

The first shot at first is nice, but the more I look at it the more I think it needs some water. A set of stairs like that must be leading to something, and with those kayaks I'm assuming water. :smile:

I like the second one a lot. Very deep contrast, and I dig the haphazard arrangement of the tools and such.

The third one would be perfect if you managed to get the whole bike in focus. The OOF near field is a bit much. Even with similar DOF you might've been able to grab focus from the rear tire to the helmet which would really make the photograph. Otherwise it's a very nice shot with a lot of emotion with the perfectly laid down bicycle and helmet. Looks well loved.

The fourth shot is 'meh'. It feels very out of place and boring, like it doesn't belong in the set. I'm finding it difficult to find a real subject in it...

Fifth one isn't doing much for me. Random wood lined up in the ground, can't really tell what it's for or why it's there. Also the DOF is too narrow on it... it's out of focus in the front and towards the back.

Thanks LBD. I definitely do, it's even there when I'm not using the camera. :smile:

Dan, I've been shooting for a few years so I can take the harsh critique. :biggrin: I agree with most of your points, especially about the bike. I think it will probably be there when I get back, I'll see what I can do in terms of a reshoot.

The fourth should have been in color with a longer lens. You should have seen these bunch of people. Brightly colored umbrellas, blankets, swimsuits. Everything was a bright, punchy color. I tried to portray it in black and white, but that didn't work out too well. A 150/4 is definitely on my list, along with another back.

About the wood, I think it is used as a boat ramp launch. I have some color long exposures that I liked, but it didn't work out as I planned in black and white. See this: http://www.pbase.com/connorroelke/image/77557724/large

I appreciate you taking the time to write all that out. I have another roll I need to finish, so I'll keep your critique in mind.

EDIT: About the kayak shot, I plan on re-shooting that in color. The kayaks are bright yellow and really punchy. I think if I waded into the water a bit at high tide I might be able to get some water in there, too. I'll be sure to let you know if I end up shooting that.

Awesome, I look forward to seeing another roll and those other shots.

I really enjoy the film forum. The shots tend to be quite different from the digital shots. I think most of us digital shooters put a different kind of thought process into our film shots since the workflow is so different. I find myself carrying the same camera around for weeks to try to take enough shots to finish off a 24 exp roll, but when I have my D50 I shoot constantly.

edit... Just went back and looked at that link to the color long exposure board shot. That's definitely a nice shot. Totally different feel for the boards. Gives them a very interesting static feel.

I agree. Though I love shooting digital, it's just a completely different mindset when you step out of the house with a film camera.

Currently, I'm using my D50 and an 85/1.8 along with the hasselblad for metering. But I never find myself reaching for the digital while I'm shooting. I really hate carrying it, and I'm looking for a cheap light meter. Film and digital is two completely different forms of photography to me. Not to be mixed.

Real Name
Chris
Ok, here is my one minute harsh critique:

1) this picture has little interest. There is nothing happening, and the detail is not so well defned as to be fun to look at.

2) Nice mysterious feel to it. The bright outdoors and sun illuminated step make it inviting to walk up, but the feeling is that we are anchored in the gloom, with just enough light to show a bit of our immediate surroundings. It almost feels claustrophobic. I like this one the best.

3) Boring

4) This one could have been shot in the 1950s. The powerpland in the distance is the only anachronism, and it important that it's there, as that sets the tension between this storybook fmily at the beach scene and the rest of the world. Maybe this is my favorite of this set instead.

5) Although there is nothing going on, the contrast between the wood, dirt and rock and the water is fun to look at. Additionally, the graphic design of the striped trapezoid made by the posts really suits the square composition. This is my second ot third favorite.

There you have it.

Well the first thing that strikes me is...Gosh I love the tones of both Delta100 and Delta400...sigh.
1. Kayaks are always interesting, but the stairs are lacking any real character, I agree with others, it doesn't do much for me.
2. More stairs, but they lead out of some cool underground basement thing that is correctly exposed to show its dingy...I like dingy! And there's junk laying around...more +++ for me...I like it!
3. I like better than others because I see a kid (well I don't really see a kid...) who dumped his bike to go run and play in the water. A kids bike abandoned is a lonely bike...I like the short DOF...it's similar to the attention span of the kid who dumped his bike...:biggrin:
4. Perfectly exposed (clouds have definition), beautiful tones, I like the power plant too though I'll bet there were initial thoughts to omit it...at least I bet most would.
5. Again, wonderful tone, but I'd like it much better without the far left board at the frame edge.
I'd be proud of that first roll for sure!

Love the detail everyone is going into with their criticism. It's really helping.

I found it pretty funny that you noted the exposure being so spot on in #4. I was so sick of carrying around my D50 to meter, I just metered a bunch of key things: Brightly lit grass, grass in shadow, sky, and water. All of this within 10 steps of my house. From there, I just ran around and guessed exposures for an hour or so. :biggrin:

I know what you mean about the board in the far left, too. I tried to get it out, triple checked that it was out, yet found it on the neg after the fact. Oh well.

It was my first time shooting Delta 100. I do really like it. Though I'm having a hard time picking a film, most seem very similar to me. I've used Hp5+ and Tri-x 400. I want to try some Pan F (Gotta love slow film) and some Delta 3200, but I need a good reason to shoot that. :smile:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom