The Haunting Call of the Loone...(pic)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doug Barber, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Greetings all:
    I had the pleasure of spending a few hours with this wonderful bird last night. It is common to see in many parts of Canada that are not highly populated. It seems the Loone and people don't get alone to well and the bird will simply move on if there is too much people activity.
    The call that this creature gives out over a lake is one that you will never forget if you are lucky enough to have a chance to hear it.
    Getting close to them is not one of the easiest things to do but once and a while a guy gets lucky.
    Now the question is.... Is this good enough to bother printing it?

I took about 500 shots during this outing and this was the first one in the pile. Now I’ll spend the next little while going through the rest to see if I got any keepers.
    As a closing note this image is right out of the box except the frame and converting to a jpg.

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Image Doug,

Love the action and color of the water made by the Loons movement.

No I have never seen one. :<(

You can certainly print one and hang on my wall....lolol

4. Doug, that is a fantastic shot of the loon calling. These are beautiful birds and are usually associated with Canadian lakes (our govt uses them extensively in tourist ads! LOL) Yes, this is a print shot for sure!
    For anyone unfamiliar with it's call, click here but remember: when it's calling on a still lake in early morning, or around sunset, the call will echo over the lake with an eerie sound. If you're lucky, you'll hear a prospective mate answer back.
    http://simplythebest.net/sounds/WAV/sound_effects_WAV/sound_effect_WAV_files/loon.wav

Doug I'd love to see more shots of the loon. Cheers, Sandi

5. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Sandi :

Not to forget dollar coins (and politicians making other looney sounds !)... :lol: :lol: :lol:

John P.

6. Thanks everyone for your comments and input....
    I played with this image a little this AM and sort of came to an impass.
    At first glance the image looks like it would process quit well. But the more I played with it the more I was not sure if I liked it.
    Here is a processed version to give you an idea as to where I'm at at this point.
    Input would be great if anyone has any ideas on how to save this thing or make it better.
    Thanks

7. Doug, I prefer the earlier version - darker around the bird, centralizes the focus. I also prefer the water darker behind the bird, like in the first version. I though the first one was great - why tamper?? *LOL*

John, ain't that the truth!!! :lol: