The Hawk

The action Saturday morning at the duck pond was a little slow, so Frank too us to his office where he regularly sees hawks. For a non-birder like myself, it was a treat just to see these awesome creatures. I can’t wait to see everyone else’s shots.

Suggestions on how to process or crop these better are welcome.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

These two...not the best (heavy crop and kind of dark), but still exciting for me:

PGB

Mason,

These are great!! I'd love to have a shot of a hawk with a critter.

Thanks,

Great shots, Mason.

And thanks again. As usual, you were instrumental in making sure all of our guests had a great time. Thanks for helping out and leading the "tour group". LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
that muskrat in his claws? or a chipmunk?

nice shots for a 'non-birder' - careful it's addictive :D
It looks like a chipmunk to me, but I very well could be wrong. Birding is a lot of fun, I just need someone to point them out to me!!

Mason,

These are great!! I'd love to have a shot of a hawk with a critter.

Thanks,
Thanks Patrick. It was a great weekend and this was one of the many highlights for me.

Oh they're all beautiful! Love that last shot though! I hope we can come next year! Beautiful captures!
I hope you are able to make it, too!

Great shots, Mason.

And thanks again. As usual, you were instrumental in making sure all of our guests had a great time. Thanks for helping out and leading the "tour group". LOL
As usual, YOU are very sweet! It is my pleasure to help in whatever small way I can.

Nice shooting buddy! What a treat to be able to shoot a raptor inbound with a snack. :smile:
Everyone missed you Frank :frown:. Hopefully we can meet up before next year. As you said, this WAS a treat. I only try to photograph birds once or twice a year, but I never come back empty handed when I am with this group. Hats off to Flew for putting us in the middle of some great action.

Mason,

Great work...looks like Alvin or Simon finally got caught (That's what happens when Chipmunks sing out of key!)

Thanks for sharing...Jim

These are great Mason! and by the way you NEED one of those bazooka lens to get a photos like these.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mason,

Great work...looks like Alvin or Simon finally got caught (That's what happens when Chipmunks sing out of key!)

Thanks for sharing...Jim
Thanks Jim. I think this may be been Theodore :eek:

These are great Mason! and by the way you NEED one of those bazooka lens to get a photos like these.
Thanks Mike. I don't have quite the bazooka lens....however, a 400 2.8 would be very nice :cool:

Wow. What details. Superb.
Thank you Sam.

Great Catch Mason

You can see the stripes on the chipmunks back.

Great Picture!
Thanks Tim. I still had hoped for more...can't wait to see Frank's shots.

Great captures Mason! What were your settings for these pictures and which lens were you using again?
Thank you Dude.

D300
Nikon 300 2.8 AF ED (First 300 2.8 AF lens…no AFS or VR)
Kenko 1.4 TC
Manual Exposure – 1/800” – F 7.1
AF – I switched between single area and 21 point dynamic all weekend

Picture #1 -ISO 400 (Used Auto ISO capped around 400)
Picture #2 ISO 250
Pictures #3 & 4 ISO 360
I think the lack of detail in the last two is due to how much I had to crop

Excellent Mason, you caught it perfectly!
Thank you Frits. I am thankful that I followed you to the parking lot for the airshow.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom