The High Andes, Peru--pano and more

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by jczinn, Sep 10, 2005.

1. We got to some pretty high altitudes on our Peru trip. Amazingly, I did pretty well with no medication--just aspirin and lots of water. We drove from sea level to this high bog to search for some specialty birds...at the highest pass in Peru...at over 15,000 feet. I am amazed I could focus on taking photos at all...it was like being punch-drunk. We were only there about an hour and then descended, but for the next few hours I had an excruciating headache. However, after that there were no ill effects (except shortness of breath at times, but that's to be expected.) Even Cuzco was a breeze at *only* 11,000 feet!

All with D100, lens as noted

Ticlio Bog at dawn, 15,091 feet (that's about 4600 meters for your metric people) Nikon 24-120VR
    [​IMG]

A few days later we birded even higher, at Marcapomachocha Road, almost 16,000 feet (4800 meters). Five shots stitched with Arcsoft Panorama Maker. 24-120VR at 42mm.
    [​IMG]

A few more shots around the high Andes

12-24
    [​IMG]

12-24
    [​IMG]

12-24
    [​IMG]

80-400VR
    [​IMG]

2. Wow these are terrific pictures from a place I would love to see. Thanks for posting.

3. Simon

Simon

Apr 30, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Janet,

Such a great series - 4K meters . . . thats getting pretty high.

Was there any wildlife at those heights ? The terrain looks rather desolate.

It must have been a wonderful journey.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Janet,

Very impressive landscapes. Beautiful

5. Literally "breathtaking" (pun intended).

I traveled Peru some 30 years ago. No way my shots come even close to this.

6. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    That's a double wow - both sets from your Peru trip are formidably magnificent. What a standard you set for we mortals.

7. Simon, there are a few high-altitude bird species that we were looking for specifically...and found...they frequent the high altitude bogs. White-bellied Cinclodes, Diademed Sandpiper-plover, Puna Ibis, Olivaceous Thornbill (a hummingbird!) and others. So its not as devoid of life as it might look. Also, of course, llamas! Unfortunately I really didn't get any decent shots of any of those birds...they were pretty distant and not at all tame or approachable.

Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments!!

8. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    These really are great shots . Looks Beautiful.

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Stunning shots of a place that could best be called starkly beautiful. Thanks Janet.

Neil

10. Absolutely gorgeous shots Janet. Ticlio Bog is getting up there pretty high. I have been over 14,000 feet but to the best of my knowledge I have never made 15,000. What a neat vacation you had.

11. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Janet.....

I so enjoy seeing your work. Its always a cut above the rest :smile:

Regards

RFC